Main Menu

Pistol grip shifter handle removal

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, January 27, 2019, 03:30:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Are there any videos out there showing the removal of one of these things? It's a 1970 with the slip in handle, no bolts. I'm familiar with the .010 feeler gauge technique but I've ruined several feeler gauges now with no success.

I need to yank the engine and trans for some quick shock tower work and I don't see any other way around getting it all out without pulling the handle first. I'm tempted to try and pull the shifter assembly off the side of the trans and just leave it in place while I yank the trans but that process looks difficult too given the amount of room up in the tunnel.

Chryco Psycho

Soak it with penetrating oil often you can get a ticker feeler gauge in there , there is a small spring tab that locks into the handle that needs to move back , you want to push the handle down as you slide in the feeler gauge to give room for the tab to move back , they are difficult to remove , if you damage the tab you can always just drill a hole through the shifter & handle , I tap one side & use a short 3/8 fine thread bolt to hold it in

70 Challenger Lover

Just want to confirm I'm at the right location. Along the chrome on the left side. If so, it ain't going no matter what. Won't go in even a fraction.

The photo by the way is the trans from another car but it won't budge either.

If I drilled it out, do I drill at the two indentations on the left side?

Chryco Psycho

OK it has been 10 years since I pulled one out , so I cannot recall which side the tab is on  :thinking:
yes I have drilled through where the indentation is but not right through so I can tap threads into one side of the box , I then use locktite & a second lock nut to hold the handle in place .

Chryco Psycho

Every picture I can find only show the bolt in type except this one picture but it doesn't show which side the lock tab is on .
To me it looks like it is on the left / driver side
I don't see a photo you posted BTW  :notsure:

70 Challenger Lover

That makes sense drilling one side then tapping the other side. I'll try it some more but I may just break down and drill at some point.

70 Challenger Lover

Just realized my photo didn't upload

Chryco Psycho

They work well for keeping the handle in place but they can be tough to remove the handle later for sure , , I have fought with my share of them  :bricks:

71vert340

I just looked at two slide in shifters I have and there's locking tabs on both sides of the shifter handle. In the past, I've always shoved a thin feeler gauge in on both sides of the shifter because I couldn't remember which side to put the feeler gauge in. Always had them come right out.You might try that.
TW

RUNCHARGER

I can't remember now but I think you are on the correct side. As Neil said you have to force it down a bit and wiggle it around, maybe pry it up at the bottom tab with a screwdriver, then force it down again. Then try the feeler gauge it should come out.
Sheldon

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

I have two of these, one in a car I'm working on and another out of the car. In both cases, there are thick steel shims on either side of the chrome which I'm guessing house the spring loaded locator pins. Up against the chrome handle itself, on both sides, is another thinner shim of some kind, maybe .025 in thickness. On both handles, there is no wiggle and no room at all for a feeler gauge of any thickness. It's like a press fit. In fact, I took a thin screwdriver and hammer and tried to drive it in there a little bit just to open up a tiny gap for the feeler gauge. It wouldn't go in even a tiny bit.

So backup plan was to remove the entire shifter assembly in the car and just leave the handle in. Weeks ago, I polished up the chrome and it looks really nice for a driver, very light pitting. I'll probably leave it like this since the car isn't going to be a show car anyway. For the other handle though, someday I'll need to get it out for rechrome or drill it out.

As far as cleaning, never had one of these apart and it looks like a pain to even try. Am I okay with soaking the lower half in degreaser just to clean it? I don't know if there are any materials like plastic up inside that might get ruined. If I could just get it nice and clean, I could put fresh grease in there and it would probably be great again. It worked fine before and seemed pretty tight.

js27

TelisSE440

I've always put a feeler on the driver side, as long i as i can remember disassembling the transmission.

71vert340

I've cleaned my with non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner and greased it removing the bottom plate and it  worked for me.
TW