Main Menu

Pistol grip shifter handle removal

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, January 27, 2019, 03:30:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Thanks for the diagram. Good to know I was at least doing the correct side. Ain't no way a feeler gauge is going in mine. There is zero room for anything.

Thanks everyone

anlauto

Diagram is not correct for 1970-71 E Body, on an E Body the clip is on the passenger side  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Disassembling the shift box, cleaning, greasing and reassembling is super easy. Just draw a diagram of the plates positions as they come out. I always do them when I have the chance.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 28, 2019, 07:25:18 PM
Disassembling the shift box, cleaning, greasing and reassembling is super easy. Just draw a diagram of the plates positions as they come out. I always do them when I have the chance.

How does it come apart? It kind of looks like the side plates have slots that are peened over. I don't mind disassembling it but I'm just concerned it won't be as tight and secure if I can't get it back together right.

RUNCHARGER

With the through bolt removed you just spread the base a bit and the spring sheetmetal clip on the end will pop out of the slot. Then everything just slides out easy, peasey.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

I just watched a video on it. Does look pretty simple. I'm gonna do it right. It will give me a chance to examine for wear and tear too.

70 Challenger Lover

Boy you were right. It was super easy. Took less than an hour to make it like new again. Never could get the handle out but that's okay. The chrome and the rubber boot look great so I'll just bolt it all back in from the top once I reinstall the transmission.

Thanks

RUNCHARGER

Great: Yes, like I say I service the shifter every chance I get. It's free and pays off in smiles every time you shift it.
Sheldon

anlauto

I send all of my customer's shifters right back to Hurst for a complete rebuild and they re-chrome the handle as well. :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: anlauto on January 29, 2019, 07:08:05 PM
I send all of my customer's shifters right back to Hurst for a complete rebuild and they re-chrome the handle as well. :twothumbsup:

I bet they are nice and crisp shifting after that. Might be worth considering on the other car when I get back to it. That one I intend to fully restore in every way and maybe even a few slight improvements along the way.

340Challman

Hi Guys,
Dragging up an old thread because I just had my fun with this and I didn't see a definitive answer to the questions of how the shifter handle is actually tabbed. So here is how it is. The the locking tab indent in the handle is on the drivers side only. However, the stainless shims with the locking tab are on both sides of the handle. At least mine is. I can't say for absolute certain that my shifter is original, but my trans is the original #'s matching trans so I believe it to be. When looking at the pictures you'll see that on one of the stainless shims the tab is folded back on itself. That, of course, was on the locking side of the shifter handle. ::)  That made removing the handle a royal PITA! :pullinghair:

In the end, I had feeler gauges down both sides. That was unnecessary since after I finally managed to get it out, the tab on the passenger side is well below the hole in the handle as you can see in the pic of that side of the handle. Having the added thickness probably just made the pulling force greater to remove it.

So, for the next person, this is how it is. Hopefully your tab won't be folded like mine was. That was not fun. It took every bit of two hours and some colorful language getting it out.  :cheers:
Kevin

DeathProofCuda

@340Challman , thanks so much for posting this.  I've tried on numerous occasions to try and remove my 70 pistol grip handle with no luck so far.  This post is inspiration to give it another go.  :cheers:

B5fourspeed

I remember my last Cuda it took awhile to get it to release.I sprayed WD 40 in there and let it work down in there.I used a feeler gauge and I pulled up real hard.When that handle came out I damm near knocked myself out when my head hit the roof.

anlauto

Quote from: B5fourspeed on April 04, 2021, 12:58:54 PM
I remember my last Cuda it took awhile to get it to release.I sprayed WD 40 in there and let it work down in there.I used a feeler gauge and I pulled up real hard.When that handle came out I damm near knocked myself out when my head hit the roof.

:rofl: :rofl: I've hit myself in the chin with the shifter real hard doing the same thing LoL

340Challman

:haha: @anlauto  @B5fourspeed  It does let go all at once doesn't it. I was holding mine with my feet while sitting on a stool. When it let go I fell backwards off of the stool :rofl:
Kevin