Main Menu

Piston ring files

Started by Mrbill426, November 19, 2020, 02:45:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

I am looking for (hands on experience) recommendations for a manual piston ring file.  I am picking up my block tomorrow after boring and will be using file-fit moly rings.  Only doing this once so not looking for a pricey pro power tool but one that works well.  I see some from Summit, Jegs, and Pro-form that all look the same but perhaps some are more user froendly than others.
Thanks!

:wrenching:

ek3

prob. better off to let them fit the rings for you.... by the time you learn to do it correctly and buy the filer... for a 1 time deal anyhow... speedway motors sells a cheap one that will do it just fine for about 50.00  https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/piston-ring-filers~14-10-136-31351 

JonH

I use a fine file mounted in a vice. Close the gap push away from you only filing in one direction. (away from the face) Simple to do and goes pretty quickly so check often. Use light even pressure on either side of the ring gap to remove equal amounts from each side. Keep it square as well. When done lightly dress the edges knocking down any high/sharp spots. Easy peasy...

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: JonH on November 19, 2020, 07:18:08 PM
I use a fine file mounted in a vice. Close the gap push away from you only filing in one direction. (away from the face) Simple to do and goes pretty quickly so check often. Use light even pressure on either side of the ring gap to remove equal amounts from each side. Keep it square as well. When done lightly dress the edges knocking down any high/sharp spots. Easy peasy...

This is what I did.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

I do this as well. If I did a lot of them I would get the high priced tool to save time though.
Sheldon

Mrbill426

Thanks for all the tips guys.  When I told the machine shop manager what I was doing he offered up his for me to borrow without me even me asking; score!  :woohoo:

:wrenching: