Main Menu

Power steering pulley knocking noise

Started by kawahonda, February 02, 2019, 12:00:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

Time to go searching the U-pull it Yards!  :alan2cents:  :thinking: I wonder if any small block car or truck would be the same? :dunno: 

Bullitt-

I may be VERY WRONG but somewhere along the way I came to believe the SB Chevy pumps & pulleys were the same in some cases... Every once in a while I see a reference to both makes under the same part

Does this not look like a Key-Way pulley for our SB Chrysler?  Pump Bore would need to be confirmed ... I know there's 2-sizes
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3973b/overview/

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

kawahonda

I think you're correct, the SMB chevy ones are pretty darn close if not exact.

Luckily, my dad has been successful in reducing the runout. Some of the videos of the pulley in action visually look like there's zero wobble now. He's going to work on it a little bit more and ship it back to me. Thinking I'll just run it if he gets it close.

It has .030 run-out...if he can get it to .010 I'd say run the sucker.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

kawahonda

Do you guys see any issue when shimming the pulley forward for better alignment if necessary?

I install the pulley this week, and it's likely that my 1.8mm offset will remain.

kawahonda

Got pulley back on. Worked it over with a screwdriver to gently "pry" it back into formation. Very easy to do, like what was previously mentioned.

No misalignment. Filled it up, drove it for 8 miles. No leaks. Smooth. No noises.

The A66 is back on the road again.