Main Menu

Power steering pulley removal

Started by gzig5, June 24, 2018, 11:51:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

I'm rebuilding my Federal power steering pump and having a heck of a time getting the pulley off.  I have a two arm puller that gets good purchase on the nut flange and is pulling straight, but I can't get the pulley to budge.  I've tightened the puller to the point that the 1/4" tightening arm is bending and have tried tapping on the flange as well as heated it to the point grease is bubbling in the joint, but it hasn't let go.  It has a lot of tension on it and I thought heating the pulley flange would cause it to expand and release.  Maybe more heat?  What about that special puller with a split collar?  What's the secret to getting the pulley to let go of the shaft?

Cuda Cody

Yes, they take a special split collar puller.  Do not use a 2 arm puller on the pully.

This was just the first YouTube video that pulled up but you get the idea.

Chryco Psycho

Make sure you buy or rent a good quailty puller , my puller shattered trying to pull the pulley off but it was a Chinese $25 kit

gzig5

That clears it up.  I was lead to believe a standard puller could work by the article in this link.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,69003.0.html
This was the only pictorial I was able to find that went through rebuilding the Federal version.  Lots of stuff on the Saginaw one.

I'll hit up the parts store and see if I can rent/borrow a proper puller.

Chryco Psycho