Main Menu

Power steering pump pulley help

Started by Bruno, August 01, 2019, 12:24:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bruno

Can anyone tell me how this pulley comes off? It's seems like it should slide off the shaft and it is loose back and forth but I'm assuming there's a key holding it in place. Here's a pic with the nut removed.

7212Mopar

You can use a three jaws puller. It works for me. You can borrow from Oreilley, Autozone etc or just bring it to the store and borrow the tool. If you want to buy, it should be under $20.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cuda Cody

Rich G.

That should slide off. The one without the nut is pressed on.

Bruno

That was my thought, too.  Could something on the shaft be broken and holding it on? It clearly feels like something is sitting in there and not letting it slide off. Maybe a hunk of metal broke off?  :headbang:

6bblgt

it is just "tight" & requires a little mechanical advantage to remove it - it has been there for decades

just like a harmonic balancer, keyed so it doesn't turn & a little to no-clearance "fit"

Bruno

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 01, 2019, 01:13:26 PM
And welcome @Bruno  to the forum!  :welcome:

Thanks!  I'm fairly new to Mopar so I'll take all the help I can get!

JS29

:welcome: @Bruno  we like to share our experiences and such!  :handshake:

anlauto

Yea, it's not "pressed" on, but it will be on there darn tight !  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bruno

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 01, 2019, 02:20:13 PM
it is just "tight" & requires a little mechanical advantage to remove it - it has been there for decades

just like a harmonic balancer, keyed so it doesn't turn & a little to no-clearance "fit"

That's why this is confusing me. My pulley has some back and forth play in it but it can also slight turn on the shaft. I was thinking the key broke off and is floating around in there somehow. Is this possible?

Bruno

So after a while (sorry, just had a baby), I finally got off my butt and ordered a new power steering pump from Summit. I took everything apart and "borrowed" a pulley removal tool from O'Reilly's. After getting the pulley off, I can see why it was rattling around. There was no damage to the pulley but the shaft was pretty well done. Here's to hoping that the new pump takes care of the problem.  :fingerscrossed:

Chryco Psycho

Looks like the key failed leaving it loose & tight at the same time !!
Those pullers will work on any pulley with the lip to attach to & they will also press on the new pulley

RUNCHARGER

Not using the puller will usually damage the pump.
Sheldon