Main Menu

Power valve size 2300 Holley

Started by Arctoad, January 04, 2019, 01:57:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Arctoad

Hi all,
Have a question, does anyone know what the stock size or "Vacuum" size power valve would be for a 2300 Holley for 340? I'm ordering a rebuild kit from Holley and the kit doesn't list the size.
Thanks,
Toad

Cuda Cody

For some reason I recall 6.5, but I'm not sure.  I might be thinking of 4 barrels.  @Chryco Psycho  might know.

tman

Arctoad

Thanks guys,
The Holley site Tech Support hasn't responded to some questions... not real helpful so far.
Toad

Chryco Psycho

Most street carbs came with a 6.5
However this means nothing You must test the real world vacuum at idle in gear if auto to get this correct , it should be a minimum of 1.5 " below your lowest vacuum reading Idle speed & cam have the biggest effect on this but there are other factors as well .
SO why are you running a 500 CFM 2 bbl on a 340 ??

ScottSmith_Harms

Agreed, factory was 6.5. I also agree with what Chryco Psycho said above  :tool:

Arctoad

I'm running original 4792 center, manual trans. I don't have the specs on the Cam but it's pretty close to stock. Also with the six pack 340's did they run #64 jets or # :barf:

Chryco Psycho

Arctoad

Chryco Psycho

Again your engine may want different jets depending what has been done to it internally but 61 is the starting point .
Your plugs should now be reading on the rich side dark brown color on a steady highway run with 64 jets .

Arctoad

Right I guess its a starting point. I've taken the plugs out and found that like you say, running a little rich. Mind you I live in Southern Ontario and haven't been able to drive the car so its been idling only for short periods of time. I'm not sure about the Heads though.. They are probably a little smaller then Original. I believe "J" 360 heads are stock 1.88's as apposed to 2.02's?
Toad

Chryco Psycho

some J heads were 2.02 some were 1.88