Main Menu

440 oil pressure

Started by B5fourspeed, November 10, 2021, 04:11:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

B5fourspeed

Fire my rebuilt 440 up today.I have zero oil pressure.The engine builder said he primed the motor and got 85 pounds.How could I have no pressure?Used a mechanical gauge thinking it was the rallye gauge.Still no pressure.Could the oil pump be bad.It is new.Full roller motor.I think I am screwed.Any thoughts.Thanks

Filthy Filbert

Pull a valve cover, pull the distributor, prime the motor and look for oil oozing out of the rocker arms.    Remember, they only get oil part time, so you'll have to turn the motor over by hand while doing this.

If you have oil oozing out of the rockers, then you have pressurized oil flowing through the entire system.

That said...85psi sounds a bit optimistic possibly made up.   Rule of thumb is what...15-20 psi at idle, and add 10 psi per 1000 rpm?   so he used an electric drill and got enough rpm out of the oil pump to produce 85 psi...equal to 6000 rpm worth of oil pressure?   Isn't the relief valve such that you can only get 60 psi at most?   I think the most I ever saw on a gauge was 50 psi cold, but it's been so long since I've had a motor running that used an oil pressure gauge...

B5fourspeed

When  I pulled the oil sender out there was no oil on the tip.It was completely dry.I thought 85 pounds was high also for being primed.Could he of screwed up the oil pump.He said he used a heavy duty drill to get the pump to turn.

Chryco Psycho

I have seen new pumps have trouble on initial firing as there is no oil / grease to seal the rotors & draw in oil , but if it had been primed this should not be an issue , I would buy or make a tool & prime it yourself to be sure , at least the il pump is external if you have to work on it or replace it .

B5fourspeed

Thank you.I will replace the pump and then prime the system so I can see for myself what is going on

Chryco Psycho

Prime it first , there may be nothing wrong with your pump , if you replace it use a Melling HP pump