Main Menu

questions about 440

Started by cuda hunter, November 09, 2019, 09:31:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RJChallenger

I would look at the rods closely. Where the caps /rods meet. Are they not numbered during assembly? When I had my 440 apart the rods caps were numbered 1 thru 8.

JS29

If they aren't already, you will want them numbered. rod and caps to keep them in order.   :alan2cents: 

6bblgt

:iagree: they'll already be numbered  :takealook: here's #7

6bblgt

@cuda hunter & your picture above of #8  :takealook:

cuda hunter

so, already numbered.  Thanks guys.  sure makes that easier. 

side question.  Would that be on most mopar blocks?  or just 440?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Chryco Psycho

All factory assy are stamped , , the main caps will have #s cast in as well
replacement rods may not be stamped or can be stamped more than once

cuda hunter

So I took the pistons out.  first few were not too difficult to get out.  7 and 8 were a little tough to get out as they seemed to be sticking.   Once I got two pistons out the assembly turned easily. 
  For the life of me I can't find any scarring or signs of distress.  Only two rod bearings show any real sign of wear.  I've not cleaned everything yet so I might find something while cleaning but I think at this point that I have to just think that every cylinder had just enough gunk and moisture on the rings to hold it tight.  I mean I tried to turn the rotating assembly lots and lots of times.  After PBin the top and bottom and everything I could get it into. Once I removed a few the whole thing just spun like a regular motor. 
Here are some pictures of the pistons anyway.  No wear on any of the cylinders.  Not cleaned up yet though.  But no real rust to speak of.  Just a little surface rust where the rings were sitting on all cylinders. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

all but two rings are stuck in the pistons. 
not cleaned or tried to remove.  Just took them out and none of the rings have expanded.  except two. 

6bblgt

what are the dates on the bearings?

cuda hunter

Original apparently.

CLEVITE 77
11 - 69 - T

maybe you can see the wear on the inside of the one bearing.  I've only noticed that wear pattern on two bearings so far. 

I'm no engine builder obviously by my hobbiest questions.  So I could very well be missing something.  The last motor I tore apart had obviously been over reved and it was quite apparent when pulled apart.  Not my first pull apart. 

Brads70

They sure are big and heavy......  :Stirring:     :thinking:    :haha: