Main Menu

Radiator cooler caps

Started by pink aar, April 18, 2018, 05:20:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

pink aar

Can anyone tell me were I can find the correct caps that go on the radiator cooler lines ( at the bottom of the radiator) . The nipples on the radiator for the transmission cooler lines. Thanks again

Burdar

I'm not sure exactly what you're needing. Caps?

Are you looking for the fittings that screw into the radiator's bottom tank?  Are you looking for the female fittings that are on the ends of the cooler lines?  Or are you looking for an actual "cap" to plug off the cooler line fittings on the rad?

fc7cuda

Are you looking to cap off the radiator cooler line in/out ports because you're running a manual trans?

pink aar

Correct. I have a 4 speed. I want to cap off the transmission line cooler on the radiator.

Burdar

It's not necessary to cap them off.  You can just leave them open.

Burdar

fc7cuda

I believe you can buy just the cap at a good hardware store.  :alan2cents:

pink aar

Were they capped from the factory???

Burdar

I don't think manual trans radiators had the cooler tank in the radiator.(no threaded holes in the lower tank for any fittings)

I used to have a manual trans Dakota.  The rad had threaded holes but not fittings in it.  I ran it for years that way...no plugs.  The cooler tank is separated from the radiator so there is no need for a plug.  If coolant starts leaking out one of the trans cooler holes, your radiator has problems.

Jim AAR

FWIW, the Original 26" Rad on my 4 spd AAR has the AT Cooling Holes in the bottom and they are capped with threaded plugs.

anlauto

Quote from: Jim AAR on April 18, 2018, 07:53:10 AM
FWIW, the Original 26" Rad on my 4 spd AAR has the AT Cooling Holes in the bottom and they are capped with threaded plugs.

:iagree: That's what I've been typically finding.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GY3R/T

They're not capped...they're plugged.

Jim AAR

My bad, guess I should have said "SEALED with threaded plugs" instead of "CAPPED with threaded plugs".

I would think that 95% of the people that are on this forum would have understood what I meant either way though, considering I used the word "plugs.  :pokeeye:

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

RUNCHARGER

That's what they look like.
Sheldon