Main Menu

Radiator outlet neck issue.

Started by drew43a, October 14, 2019, 03:26:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

drew43a

So the radiator outlet neck that i believe is a original mopar part made of cast iron. It was straight sided  and seemed to be on the short side as far as length. But i put the hose and clamp on anyway.  During the break-in of the engine since it was rebuilt it was getting hot due to a bad fan clutch not working at all. we had just turn off the engine and POW!!! for a lack of a better word.
the radiator hose blew off and spewed anti-freeze out like Mt St Helen's. Covering my friends and myself and the car in a shower of anti-freeze. Yuck.  :headbang: So  using files and a grinder and eventually my small lathe, this was a friends recommendation to solve the problem.

Chryco Psycho

Lucky you were not badly burned , I always have a hose close by to cool the radiator during break in runs

drew43a

we were actually not to close to the engine but we both got a good taste of it.  :steamingmad:

RUNCHARGER

So making it thinner is going to seal the hose better? Did you check the wall thickness?
Sheldon

anlauto

Using a good quality gear clamp will do the trick. Hopefully you're not using those old style spring clamps, if you are you might want a new thermostat housing to insure the proper fit.

I received third degree burns on my lower leg and ankle once from the lower hose blowing off the rad....it's not fun removing your skin with your sock.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

drew43a

Sheldon:  the hose was i tight fit before i turned in down.  But the key factor is having the rib at the top edge that the hose clamp can NOT slide past and off once tightened.

usraptor

Why not just buy a new neck?  They're not that expensive and then you don't have to worry about the hose leaking for blowing off.  While you're at it, if you haven't already, buy a new thermostat also and make sure it's installed correctly as being upside down will also cause your engine to overheat.  :alan2cents:  Good luck with whatever you decide.  :bigthumb:

Topcat

Chryco Psycho

Mancini Has billet Alum ones that seal far better than the factory ones do  :alan2cents:

drew43a

My modification worked perfectly. and a new fan clutch,  we got the engine breaking period done with no issues.

cudabob496

So when breaking in, did you have a large box fan running in front of the radiator. Also, was engine coolant properly
vented. ie drill a small hole in thermostat.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

drew43a

we left the thermostat out for the breakin period.