Main Menu

fuel neck filler

Started by Husk Challenger, May 02, 2017, 02:40:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  It has to be something easy like that.  They should not leak.  Maybe the grommet wasn't seated right?

Brads70

I was helping a buddy with his 71 Cuda and same issue, turns out there is more than one size of filler neck grommet . They look the same but was too loose. Might have been packaged wrong ? For another car? Second one fit great with no leaks, had to use Vaseline to get it in. ( no honeymoon jokes please) :P

Cuda Cody

Yes, it should be a tight fit.

Husk Challenger

Well i understand now why there is a leak... my fuel neck grommet doesn t have the rounded part!
It is flat on the both sides.... so it's probably not the good one... :notsure:
I don t have pick but i will show you while i will change it.

Thank you for the fast answers  :bigthumb:

Quote from: cuda dad on June 04, 2017, 08:51:27 AM
Quote from: Husk Challenger on June 04, 2017, 06:02:04 AM
Hey guys,

I received my new neck filler and i installed it after a refresh of the tank. I have also reconnected the vent lines.

So i went to the gas station and i filled the tank and here's the drama! I had a big leak of gas at the neck filler grommet...  :headbang:
The grommet did look good when i put it back in place...but it seems i did wrong!
Did i miss something at the mounting??
I am waiting your advice before order a new one...

Thanks
The rounded side goes inside the tank.  You have to make sure to install it all of the way so the groove is in the lip of the tank.
Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

Husk Challenger

By the way...when installing it,  do you put it first on the neck filler or on the tank?

Brads70

Quote from: Husk Challenger on June 04, 2017, 12:07:02 PM
By the way...when installing it,  do you put it first on the neck filler or on the tank?

In the tank first

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Brads70 on June 04, 2017, 10:36:01 AM
I was helping a buddy with his 71 Cuda and same issue, turns out there is more than one size of filler neck grommet . They look the same but was too loose. Might have been packaged wrong ? For another car? Second one fit great with no leaks, had to use Vaseline to get it in. ( no honeymoon jokes please) :P

We got our Challenger with a ripped grommet. So had to replace it.

If the neighbors only heard my wife and I in the garage trying to seat the neck into the tank:  are you pushing!  Wait - it's not in the hole. Push harder!  Did you put enough Vaseline on it !?  Damn. Why doesn't it fit. ***k!!!

Husk Challenger

Thank you, i was right...

Quote from: Brads70 on June 04, 2017, 12:09:43 PM
Quote from: Husk Challenger on June 04, 2017, 12:07:02 PM

In the tank first

I can imagine that!!  :rofl:  :rofl:

Quote from: Marc70challenger on June 04, 2017, 12:10:04 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on June 04, 2017, 10:36:01 AM

We got our Challenger with a ripped grommet. So had to replace it.

If the neighbors only heard my wife and I in the garage trying to seat the neck into the tank:  are you pushing!  Wait - it's not in the hole. Push harder!  Did you put enough Vaseline on it !?  Damn. Why doesn't it fit. ***k!!!

FSHTAIL

Quote from: nsmall on May 04, 2017, 09:01:59 PM
@1 Wild R/T

I couldnt tag you for some reason.

So the 5th line would be the one on top in the attached pic?  So just leave like 8 inches of the rubber hose?

Thanks
My car is missing this 4 port breather. 
I'm going to make one. 

Can I run the upper port directly into a carb vac source and call it good?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on June 09, 2017, 01:04:01 AM
Quote from: nsmall on May 04, 2017, 09:01:59 PM
@1 Wild R/T

I couldnt tag you for some reason.

So the 5th line would be the one on top in the attached pic?  So just leave like 8 inches of the rubber hose?

Thanks
My car is missing this 4 port breather. 
I'm going to make one. 

Can I run the upper port directly into a carb vac source and call it good?

Yes & no, it would be a vacuum leak....  It needs to be a metered oriface or some other way of controlling the flow.... Starting in 72 Chrysler ran the vent line to a charcoal canister & the canister had a purge line back to a vacuum port at the base of the carb which is ported vacuum so it only purged the fuel vapors when the throttle was opened like under light throttle cruise...

If you ran it to manifold vacuum it would purge all the time & would seriously effect how the engine runs...

FSHTAIL

Maybe a small welding tip inline?

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Husk Challenger

Hi Guys,

I have just dismounted my gaz tank in order to change the sending unit seal and the neck filler grommet.
As you can see the old one is really different from the new one... The inner diamter is wider on the old one.
It seems it's going to be pretty tight to put the new one on the tank. I guess lubs will be necessary.

I have another question.
When i installed the tank, i added the 4 vents line to the vapor separator.
But today when i disconnected the vent lines, there was some gaz in!
I thought these lines were for vent the tank..... Is it normal?? Or what may be the problem??

Thanks in advance.

Cedric