Main Menu

Door tags

Started by usraptor, February 26, 2017, 06:55:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Okay, I hope to get my doors painted in the near future and as most are, while my door sticker is legible, it's edges are peeling up somewhat.  I've see several cars that have the original  door sticker masked off when it's repainted, but IMHO it always looks tacky to see freeze paint with an old faded, peeling door sticker.  Considering, you can have new door stickers made with the same info on them as the original, is it really taboo to take off the original for a re-paint and replace with a new re-po sticker?

anlauto

I think saving the original sticker looks like shit. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Do it right and get a nice reproduction decal.  Looks so much better when you are done.

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/productdesc.php?co=c&id=52

usraptor

Thanks Alan and Cody.  That's what I thought, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something considered taboo.

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 26, 2017, 07:08:12 PM
:iagree:  Do it right and get a nice reproduction decal.  Looks so much better when you are done.

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/productdesc.php?co=c&id=52

:iagree: :iagree:

I had them  print me 2 labels for what I am working on. One for the door and one for my Scrap Book. They had never had the request and had to get approval, but they fixed me up.  :handshake:

anlauto

I have one for the scrap book too, but it's because they put the wrong VIN on it :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

71GranCoupe

Quote from: anlauto on February 26, 2017, 07:24:00 PM
I have one for the scrap book too, but it's because they put the wrong VIN on it :haha:

Now you gotta find a car with that Vin.  :haha: :rofl:

cataclysm80

Can you save the original for the scrapbook?

I've successfully removed one from a Chevy before, but hadn't tried a Mopar yet.  Seems like my Mopar doors are usually missing the tag.

71GranCoupe

The tag basically self destructs when removed. At least from what I have seen. it was to keep the bad guys from re-taging another car, but many just changed doors.  :bricks:

cataclysm80

That Chevy one was supposed to destruct also, but I got it off with some careful razor blade work. 
You're repainting anyway, so get the blade under the paint and leave the sticker stuck to the paint.
It curled a bit and didn't lay nice and flat, certainly not reusable, but OK for a scrap book.

RUNCHARGER

I totally agree: I sort of see the trying to save it deal but it looks awful and the ECS labels are perfect. I send a photo of the original in and that way they can make them exact.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

I really like the look of the new ECS door vin tag.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

anlauto

Oh........ too bad it's got that black magic marker on it :'(

Rev-It-Up

:rofl:
Quote from: anlauto on February 27, 2017, 11:20:26 AM
Oh........ too bad it's got that black magic marker on it :'(

:haha: :haha: :haha:
Rev-It-Up

HP_Cuda

Only on your pic Alan

:wave:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5