Main Menu

Rear main seal replacement

Started by fireguyfire, April 03, 2019, 05:08:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudakiller70

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 18, 2019, 12:48:07 PM
I usually offset the end of the seal 10* or so that way the end of the seal is not quite flush with the parting line on the block
What do you do for SB rear seal with ears?

Chryco Psycho

they can only go in in the one position obviously

Cudakiller70

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 02, 2019, 08:55:05 AM
they can only go in in the one position obviously
I should of made my question clearer. What I was meaning to ask is if installing the wing type seal, do you have any tips on installation? like sealer type and where. Anything to check when cap is off?  Or anything else you would do to prevent leaks. Or is there another seal you like better? I have never done this before.

1 Wild R/T

FWIW I do loosen the main caps, usually about 3 turns for all eight remaining bolts...

And on the last three engines I've built I've been offsetting the seal ends 90 degrees... I read an article that suggested it & since I couldn't see it hurting anything I thought I'd give it a try... I haven't had the slightest sign of a leak from any of them..

Oh, with the trans out remove the flex plate so you have good access to the back of the seal retainer & fill the V shaped cavities on either side of the seal retainer with RTV...

Cudakiller70

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 02, 2019, 12:18:18 PM
FWIW I do loosen the main caps, usually about 3 turns for all eight remaining bolts...

And on the last three engines I've built I've been offsetting the seal ends 90 degrees... I read an article that suggested it & since I couldn't see it hurting anything I thought I'd give it a try... I haven't had the slightest sign of a leak from any of them..

Oh, with the trans out remove the flex plate so you have good access to the back of the seal retainer & fill the V shaped cavities on either side of the seal retainer with RTV...
Thank you this helps