Main Menu

Rear Pinon Yoke

Started by 7212Mopar, August 10, 2018, 12:32:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

I removed the old 7260 yoke and seal already. But I am having a real difficult time removing the bearing (yoke side). I tried using two picks to see if it slide out but it won't move. The whole assembly spin around nice and smooth with my fingers. Is there some tricks involve to get the bearing out? Put the nut back on the pinion and tab with a hammer?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Shane Kelley

I'm not sure but I would probably try tapping it with a hammer. I'm guessing that old crush sleeve is holding it to the pinion.

GoodysGotaCuda

It's not unheard of to need an air hammer to knock it loose. Especially since it's common practice to apply rtv to the splines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Shane Kelley

After thinking about it a little bit. The crush sleeve wouldn't have anything to do with the issue. It's behind the bearing. The bearing is just stuck on the pinion. Give it a whack!

7212Mopar

Air hammer the pinion shaft? There is no RTV sealant on the bearing or the pinion shaft. I think I will tap it with a hammer first tonight.

RUNCHARGER

It needs a few light taps. It's a tight fit so they can get stuck on.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

Tapping it with a hammer side way and along the axis not helping. Play with it for at least two hours and broke two picks already. The outer bearing cage to the race is loose and smooth but the bearing center is holding on the pinion shaft not wanting to come out. I think I will try to put a flame to the bearing tonight to see if it expand and let go. This is totally unexpected. I am trying not to have to pull the axles and take the center section out.

Goody, when you say air hammer, which part are you hammering, the bearing?

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 7212Mopar on September 19, 2018, 09:48:29 AM

Goody, when you say air hammer, which part are you hammering, the bearing?

Air hammer was mostly in reference to removing the yoke and sometimes to drive the pinion free with the center section out.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

7212Mopar

Ok heat is not working either. What should I try next? I wonder if there is a puller that fit in this tight spot.

GoodysGotaCuda

I would probably go ahead and pull the center section to knock the pinion through. A gear puller may be able to get in there, but it's pretty tight.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

7212Mopar

I found this puller on Amazon and ordered it. Thinking of grabbing the center of the bearing and bear against the pinion shaft. I got a feeling this thing is from oversea as it won't be delivered until third week of October.  :pullinghair:

7212Mopar

My puller arrived yesterday and I quickly gave it a try. It is a very well made piece from a store in England. Unfortunately there is just not enough room to place the jaw in. All my attempts to remove the front pinion bearing has failed. I am now in the process of draining the fluid and removing the center section. Since I am doing all that work, I decided to contact Dr. Diff and order a new 8-3/4 with his helical limited slip and just do a drop in. I will continue to disassemble my original SG and rebuild it by changing all the bearings, setting pinion depth, backlash etc. It will become by backup unit.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

7212Mopar

Yea. I am taking the quick way out. True is I was waiting for the driveshaft guy but now he is waiting for me to give him one more dimension with the 1350 yoke in place. It has been a month already. Also I never have a Torsen style LSD and I read some great things about the new Doctor DIFF piece. Looking forward to lay down two long black stripes somewhere.

nsmall

I cant wait for you to lay down two solid black ones as you have been more than patient trying to "finish" this build.  Keep at it as I know its been long journey trying to cross the finish line on this one.