Main Menu

It’s Finally In…

Started by Daveh, March 05, 2017, 08:50:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey Guys,

Well I put it in today.  Took my son and me about 1-1/2 hours with no major complications.  The jig that I fabricated to lift the car worked UNBELIEVABLY.  I could have lifted the car another 2+ feet.  I'm just so psyched.

Now on to the TKO trans. fitment.  In the tightest of place on the passenger side it's about ¼" away from the tunnel that I welded in.  I didn't think that was bad.  Now the tight spot, in one of the pictures you can see that the top screw on the trans. is hitting the tunnel.  There is a little give between the screw and the tunnel so I think if I dimple the tunnel up I should be fine.  Any thoughts?

Dave

Spikedog08

Looks amazing!  Nice job!   :clapping:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Cuda Cody

Absolutely wonderful job man!   :bravo:  and it looks great.  :banana:  you have to feel great about what you got done today.

Chryco Psycho

Nice , interesting rig you used to lift the body with access you should be able to dimple the tunnel a little although it should not move 1/4" back there anyway .
I would have finished the master cylinder & brake lines s up first though .

anlauto

Works pretty slick eh ? You'll never put one in from the top again :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

Great job!  Car and motor look beautiful!   :ohyeah:

Daveh

The reason I didn't want to install the brake master cylinder prior to the engine install is because I didn't want to bleed the master cylinder and have it sitting in there with the possibility of leaking the brake fluid on the paint and begin to peel.  Plus the lines to the front calipers aren't hooked up until after the install.  This way I put lot's of plastic and rags down incase of a few drips. Not saying one way is better than the other it was just my preference.  Hopefully I'll be ok. 

anlauto

Use Dot 5 brake fluid and forget all your worries :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

XeGnome

Beautiful!  Awesome engineering on the lift; :tool:

Daveh

Originally I was planning on using Dot 5 but all that I read as far as the consistency in braking and fading felt that wasn't the best to use especially since living in South Florida.

If someone can convince me differently I would consider it.  I'm just not 100%.  I removed all of the brake lines and calipers and cleaned all of the lines so I can go either way.  Thanks

RUNCHARGER

We're not as hot as Florida but we are over 100 in the summer here and I use DOT5 in my cars. It's not worth risking the paint for me.
Sheldon

Daveh

As I was thinking about the fluid it just dawned on me that the hydraulic clutch requires Dot 4 and the TKO 600 trans instructions say do not use Dot 5 in big bold letters.   

Rev-It-Up

Quote from: Daveh on March 05, 2017, 08:50:26 PM
Hey Guys,

Well I put it in today.  Took my son and me about 1-1/2 hours with no major complications.  The jig that I fabricated to lift the car worked UNBELIEVABLY.  I could have lifted the car another 2+ feet.  I'm just so psyched

Dave

Loved your jig idea to lift the car! We'll be doing this in a few weeks and was wondering if you could tell us how you did it and maybe take a pic of it? Also, did you make the jig that rolled the engine and tranny into place?

Great work...love following your post!
Rev-It-Up

usraptor

Congrats on the engine install.  I just did mine, twice, a few months back and I know what a feeling of accomplishment it is.   :banana:

Brads70

Where that bolt is hitting , maybe swapping out for button head cap screw or a low head socket cap screw would get you more clearance?