Main Menu

Shifter Mechanism Rebuild

Started by Gary AAR, February 25, 2019, 07:40:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

I need to get my 1970 Cuda 4 speed transmission shift mechanism restored.  Anybody have any experience with getting this work done by Brewers Transmission or Hurst Shifter Online?  Can I buy parts and do the work myself?  Are special tools required to do the rebuild?
Thanks for the help.

Dakota

I rebuilt mine.  It wasn't too difficult.  Like anything else on these cars, take lots of pictures and pay particular attention to the order this be are assembled.  The replacement parts from Brewer's had some slight difference compared to the original ones (specifically the plate for reverse), but everything worked fine.

There are a number of good "how to" videos on YouTube including this one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=huUETRzXM7k

I think I can dig up some pictures.   I'll add them to this thread once located. 

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:, Just clean it & lube it yourself , not hard to do

anlauto

I send ALL of my four speed shifters to Scotty at Hurst Shifters Online... :worship:

Why "clean +lube" old worn out parts ? :drunk:

Want your shifter to function as new....send it back to the place it was born....restore it once and restore it correct.  :alan2cents:

They also offer a re-chroming option for the handle...everything comes back looking like new.  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dakota

Some photos of what's inside.   

1132 shows the original condition.
1216 shows the plates and parts.   The upper row shows the parts that were replaced (the old ones are  above the new ones - they're not lined up exactly above).  The lower row shows what went in the final assembly. Note that there are some differences in the shapes.
1214 shows the wear on the pin (correct name?)
1212 & 1213 shows how one of the original plates was bent.   I believe this was part of the reverse lockout - I couldn't get the dang thing to shift into reverse, which prompted the tear down.
1220 shows the completed completed component.

Chryco Psycho

Probably because a lot of them are not worn out , you get the 50 year old grease out clean up the parts & they work like new for a couple of hours labor  :wrenching:

usraptor

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 25, 2019, 01:35:31 PM
Probably because a lot of them are not worn out , you get the 50 year old grease out clean up the parts & they work like new for a couple of hours labor  :wrenching:
I agree with Chryco.   Took mine apart, cleaned and re-lubed/greased and it shifts like new.

anlauto

Well I guess that's the difference between just "fixing up your car" and actually restoring it to like new condition.  :alan2cents:  and there's absolutely nothing wrong with fixing up our old cars and keeping them running. :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

kathyscuda

buy the shim kit and do it yourself

headejm

jimynick

Alan, you neglected to say what Scotty @ Hurst charges to do his service. Could you please advise in that regard? Thx.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

70 Challenger Lover

The guys in here convinced me to do it myself and I am glad I did. It took about an hour and it is silky smooth now. Quite easy to do. Nothing wrong with sending it out either but the online videos show how to check for excessive wear so it's really not that hard. If you have the skill to take it out of the car and reinstall it after, then you certainly have the skill to disassemble it and restore it yourself.

anlauto

Quote from: jimynick on February 25, 2019, 08:11:35 PM
Alan, you neglected to say what Scotty @ Hurst charges to do his service. Could you please advise in that regard? Thx.  :cheers:

With re-chroming the handle and all the small parts, new grips/lens etc..rebuilding and re-plating the shifter properly, the total cost is $440.00 plus shipping.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Chryco Psycho