Main Menu

Shifter Mechanism Rebuild

Started by Gary AAR, February 25, 2019, 07:40:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

The company is in the States, so that's USD.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP_Cuda

Most folks just replace the shims and move on.

Others also replace the springs and have one hell of a time.

:banana:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

jimynick

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on February 25, 2019, 08:36:53 PM
The guys in here convinced me to do it myself and I am glad I did. It took about an hour and it is silky smooth now. Quite easy to do. Nothing wrong with sending it out either but the online videos show how to check for excessive wear so it's really not that hard. If you have the skill to take it out of the car and reinstall it after, then you certainly have the skill to disassemble it and restore it yourself.
May I ask where you got your parts and how much they charge?
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

70 Challenger Lover

I followed the instructions on a you tube video for checking wear and clearances and everything was fine so I needed nothing but cleaning and fresh grease. There are tons of small parts available new on eBay including this complete rebuild kit I found from Hurst.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F281539055609

Gary AAR

Does anyone know the correct finish on the 3 shift levers?  Should they be painted black (flat black or semi-gloss?) as in"Dakato's" pictures above, or a plated finish as shown in "usraptor's" photos above? 
Thanks for the help.

Gary AAR

Does anyone know the original finish for the shift levers?  Are the lower portion of the levers painted black or black oxide as shown in "Dakota's" photo above?  What finish does Hurst provide when they restore a shifter mechanism?
Thanks.

RUNCHARGER

Not painted I don't believe. I am not sure though.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

the ones I have seen are just steel color but maybe zinc coated so they don't rust

anlauto

Here's what you get back from Hurst Shifters Online....

This is @SYDWAZ original AAR shifter looking better than new. They re-plate everything, re-chrome, all new parts etc... and they return your old worn out parts.
I've used this service at least a half dozen times and the shifters work beautifully .... maybe some of my customers on here will chime in ?

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration