Main Menu

Silly Question: How do you jack up your Ebody?

Started by tparker, August 20, 2023, 10:52:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Over the years I have had to get under the 70 Challenger and it isn't easy. I can jack up the body but it only goes so high with a floor jack. Trying to Jack up the suspension (tires) usually only gets so high and it is difficult to get it under some ramps. Along the way I have bent some of the "frame" with floor jacks.

Just curious if anyone has tups or tricks. I'm putting the engine in and need to get underneath to connect several things.

Rich G.

If I have to use a jack I only jack it up from the bottom of the K frame or the center of the rear end. Block of wood on the jack if I need to go higher. Not a whole lot of choices if you didn't have a lift. Race ramps could be another option for you.

torredcuda

Quote from: Rich G. on August 21, 2023, 03:47:48 AM
If I have to use a jack I only jack it up from the bottom of the K frame or the center of the rear end. Block of wood on the jack if I need to go higher. Not a whole lot of choices if you didn't have a lift. Race ramps could be another option for you.

:iagree:
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

dodj

Agree with Rich
Prior to installing a lift, I would place the floor jack under the K-member and lift as high as possible, and then slide ramps under the front wheels. Then raise the rear from the diff placing j-stands just ahead of the front spring attachment. Then raise the front again if needed. Going back and forth until it was as high as I wanted or dared.
FYI.....The $3500 spent on a 2 post lift was the best tool investment I ever made.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Middle of the K-frame and middle of the Diff. I then put jackstands (with rags to stop scratches) under the frame rails to hold it up.
Sheldon

MoparCarGuy

MoparLeo

Always make sure to also place wheel chocks in front and behind the tires that are not being lifted.
Lifting points are in the front section of the Factory Service Manual.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

tparker

Hi @MoparCarGuy, that was exactly what I was looking for. Basically no easy way. When I lift from the K member I barley get the tires off the ground. But using in conjunction with jacks on the side makes sense. I can't recall how I did it years ago but must have been similar. Maybe just did one side at a time.

Katfish

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on August 22, 2023, 05:23:28 PM
Another option for gaining more height when doing work under the car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hPkTZdBGc8

This is interesting but he still had to jack on the frame rails to get the front high enough.
As someone else noted, I too have bent frame rails from someone jacking there.

I'll probably build a set like he did, but build 4 - 6" tall sets for the front.
Get the car high enough to slide a 6" set under the front wheels, then jack higher using the K-frame and stack another 6" section on.

The old metal drive up stands are and option too, I have several sets and you can find these for nothing as most people junk them.  No reason to pay $200 for rubber blocks.

MoparCarGuy

There are floor jacks that lift up to approximately 24". You can get additional height by using a 4"x4" block on the floor jack after first raising it and sitting it on hi-lift jack stands. Repeat the process and sit it on the wooden wheel cribs.

anlauto

Reminds me of the old question:

If your Uncle Jack helped you off a horse, would you help your Uncle jack off a horse ? :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chargerdon

To remove and reinstall the automatic transmission takes a lot of height to pull it as the bell housing is large.   

I used my Engine hoist attached to the bumper brackets to get it real high then once i slid the tranny under lowered it to good floor stands.   Fast and easy. 

tparker

Getting the tranny out isn't too bad. I just lift it a bit from the side. I just place two boards under the tranny (one is leftover flooring that is slick. Then drop the tranny with blocks and a jack to lower one side at a time onto the wood.Then slide it out by moving the bell housing near the front wheels. There is just enough room if you get it high enough. But the tires don't need to be off the ground.

The main reason I want to jack it up is so I can "comfortably" put in the starter, bolt up the flex plate and add the transmission cover, and connect all the tranny linkage and cooling lines. No one wants to squueze under and stretch out to do all this. LOL.

Thanks all

Cudajason

Quote from: tparker on August 24, 2023, 09:24:53 AM
Getting the tranny out isn't too bad. I just lift it a bit from the side. I just place two boards under the tranny (one is leftover flooring that is slick. Then drop the tranny with blocks and a jack to lower one side at a time onto the wood.Then slide it out by moving the bell housing near the front wheels. There is just enough room if you get it high enough. But the tires don't need to be off the ground.

The main reason I want to jack it up is so I can "comfortably" put in the starter, bolt up the flex plate and add the transmission cover, and connect all the tranny linkage and cooling lines. No one wants to squueze under and stretch out to do all this. LOL.

Thanks all

Can you post a pic of your Jack?  I get the feeling you may need a new one.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

jimynick

If your floor jack will only lift the wheels off, you need a better jack. My 50 year old Blackhawk 1.5 tonner will lift the 17
' frt whls of mine 6-7" off the ground. Setting the car on ramps just loses the height gained as the suspension compresses. I have torque boxes in my car and they're strong enough to lift on. As mentioned, a block of wood is your friend. Be safe and good luck!
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"