Main Menu

Silly Question: How do you jack up your Ebody?

Started by tparker, August 20, 2023, 10:52:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

@Cudajason, why do you say that? My jack is fine. I can jack everything up just fine. My initial question was just to see what others do to get the height to  put ramps under the tire. My tires are typically too low to the ground with just the jack. Using a block of wood would probably get me more height.

My last post was just stating that I wanted to lift it up so I can get under it to do some work with some room to spare rather than just squeeze under it.

Maybe a larger jack could do it in one shot

Cudajason

Quote from: tparker on August 24, 2023, 03:46:00 PM
@Cudajason, why do you say that? My jack is fine. I can jack everything up just fine. My initial question was just to see what others do to get the height to  put ramps under the tire. My tires are typically too low to the ground with just the jack. Using a block of wood would probably get me more height.

My last post was just stating that I wanted to lift it up so I can get under it to do some work with some room to spare rather than just squeeze under it.

Maybe a larger jack could do it in one shot

I wanted to see how small your jack was.  I have no problem getting my Cuda up in the air high enough to put it on jack stands and crawl underneath.  I could do a started no problem.  I am just surprised you cannot get it up that high.  :dunno:

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

dodj

Quote from: jimynick on August 24, 2023, 03:45:35 PM
Setting the car on ramps just loses the height gained as the suspension compresses.
This is true...but...if you want room to work under the front half of the car...I found it worked best for me. And it's very stable. Op might be trying to get it higher than ramps though... :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

moparroy

I love the air jack for under the 'Cuda K frame and Rr Axle.
But be careful - mind the air lines - ALWAYS jack stands

tparker

Hi @CudaJon, I could raise it high enough to do the starter with the jack. But I also need to do several things and get closer to the rear. I have hook up all the linkage to the tranny, add the nss clip to the rear of the tranny, hang the muffler, and hook up the driveshaft. Although I could do it, I'd like to put it up on the ramps for a bit more room. I have a creeper that would be nice to lay on while I'm under thare, but that might be asking too much. LOL.

My real question wasn't really about jacking it up, I just wanted to see how others do it and how they put the ramps under. I bent my frame rails when I was younger. Just checking what "tricks" people had.

Thanks all. Some great advice.

RUNCHARGER

All the room you need. Front jackstands under the lower a-arm pivots. Even safer just to put wood blocks under all 4 tires with chocks nailed to the blocks.
Sheldon