Main Menu

Small Block LA - Poor Distributor-to-Distributor Drive Engagement

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, September 05, 2018, 07:27:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

73_Cuda_4_Me

:clapping:

Glad that you got the problem fixed, but a little baffled that an o-ring could make that much difference in the distributor shaft tang's engagement!

73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on September 10, 2018, 01:29:05 PM
:clapping:

Glad that you got the problem fixed, but a little baffled that an o-ring could make that much difference in the distributor shaft tang's engagement!

I was skeptic as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

73_Cuda_4_Me

The o-ring thickness must be considerably larger (or a higher 'hardness') such that it couldn't compress on the taper going into the block, but must have held the housing a 1/4" or more above the block mating surface!?!?
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on September 10, 2018, 02:09:21 PM
The o-ring thickness must be considerably larger (or a higher 'hardness') such that it couldn't compress on the taper going into the block, but must have held the housing a 1/4" or more above the block mating surface!?!?

It's noticeably larger in most every dimension, OD and thickness. I figured the old o-ring had just been squashed into submission over the last 40 years...nope!
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

YellowThumper

Had same issue with mine in the past. I also ended up using an old one so distributor would properly drop into bore. Yes, it will stay up a significant amount.

Mike
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.