Main Menu

Air Cleaner Clearance

Started by edison1970, February 16, 2021, 04:11:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

edison1970

What would you guys consider enough clearance?  I changed the carb on my 440 and the back hood brace only gives me 3/8".

cudaragtop

Quote from: edison1970 on February 16, 2021, 04:11:56 PM
What would you guys consider enough clearance?  I changed the carb on my 440 and the back hood brace only gives me 3/8".

3/8th sounds a little too close for comfort to me but might be okay. Depends where and how much your engine moves there... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is it at the center rear or the Driver's side edge? At the center I wouldn't worry as much as the driver's side.
It's the driver's side that wants to lift on hard acceleration.
This is how much clearance between the hood and my AC. Closest point is about 5/8" - 3/4" at at the AC center peak.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

edison1970

There's plenty of clearance everywhere except where the brace is at the back of the hood.  I could go with a smaller air cleaner but I don't care for the look. I had better clearance with the Holley carb and drop air cleaner but the AVS2 I put on idles better and has a snappier response.

chargerdon

With that type of air cleaner...try to find a shorter filter !!    I had to do that on my 74 with the 360 and Air Gap intake and edlebrock carb.   
I also had to take the bottom and turn it into a drop filter base.   I have the standard hood, I think the sport hood has more clearance.   

docmel

Summit and others make a off set aircleaner base that would work with your current air cleaner set up.  You can rotate the base in any direction to give better hood clearance   And its pretty cheap   I use one on a project I have   Be sure an offset air cleaner rod comes with it (its L shaped) or you can order one seperately

edison1970

I saw that last night. I think I'm going to try it. I have to see if they give the offset so I can check it before I order. Hopefully it pushes it forward enough to clear that brace.