Main Menu

Tach drive distributor

Started by edison1970, February 27, 2019, 06:36:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

edison1970

I'm in the final stretch with starting my 440. The question I have is the motor came with a tach drive distributor with no vac advance. Are they good to run on the street? Never ran a motor without vvac advance. Any tips on initial timing?

71-440

For what it's worth I'm not running a vac advance. Mechanical only. From what I've read if it a daily driver and your looking for fuel economy Then a vac. adv. helps. Anything else it may help with I'm not sure but I know there are more knowledgeable people here that will chime in. That's my take on what i have read about it so far. 
I have no problems running without it.
Joe

Chryco Psycho

I routinely disconnect the vacuum advance , I get bette power & mileage without it
Total 34-36* is more important than timing at idle but usually start around 16*

floorit426

I've been running a mechanical advance, for many years, in mine. I think the initial timing depends on how much advance is built in. I run a total of 34 degrees.

70 Challenger Lover

I ran for years without vacuum advance and always struggled with overheating issues. Soon as I started using vacuum advance again, it runs nice and cool in the worst summer heat, stopped and moving.

edison1970

I'm going to give it a try. I hope to start it over the next 2 weeks. In the process of getting the exhaust hooked up