Main Menu

Tranny cooler line leak

Started by nsmall, February 15, 2017, 05:02:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Hello.  If I jack my car up as high as I can in the rear and detach the tranny cooler line, will any tranny fluid come out?

I have a leak where the fitting goes on the tranny and I want to attempt to fix it.  I have some "right stuff" goop and the tranny line and fitting is new so I am not sure why the line is leaking, just started leaking after 6 months of no leaks.  The leak is in the fitting, not where it bolts to the tranny.  Would the "right stuff" be the right stuff (ha ha ha ha) for the job?  I was thinking of cleaning everything well, putting on some goop, saying a prayer, and hope for the best.

Thanks

Cuda Cody

I personally would not use goop for a leak.  Have you checked to see if you can tighten the fitting first?  Sometimes they just need to be tighten.

usraptor

:iagree:  Try tightening it first.  It's most likely that after 6 months it's worked itself a little loose.  Those fittings are made for goop or gasket cement. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Chryco Psycho

the thread into the trans case is pipe thread & could use some teflon sealer , the line to fitting connection is flare no sealant required there .
Make sure you loosen the line before tightening the fitting into the case  :bradsthumb:

nsmall

So loosen the line nut a little first, then give the fitting going into the tranny a little snug?

Thanks

RUNCHARGER

Yes. If both are already tight though break out the tape for the trans fitting at least. I think you'll find them loose though.
Sheldon

nsmall

I tightened the line nut. Seemed a little loose.  I will watch it as I hate leaks.  I am assuming there will always be leaks? Sometimes I think I expect this car to behave like a modern car and forget its 44 years old.  Im only 37.   :slapme5:
I have another leak I will post on sometime. 

Thanks folks.

Neil

Cuda Cody

When it stops leaking, you have run out of fluid.   :))

Quote from: nsmall on February 15, 2017, 10:26:53 PM
I tightened the line nut. Seemed a little loose.  I will watch it as I hate leaks.  I am assuming there will always be leaks? Sometimes I think I expect this car to behave like a modern car and forget its 44 years old.  Im only 37.   :slapme5:
I have another leak I will post on sometime. 

Thanks folks.

Neil

JS29

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 15, 2017, 10:56:30 PM
When it stops leaking, you have run out of fluid.   :  I thought that was A Harley Davidson owner's rule of thumb!!!

RUNCHARGER

In a perfect world there should be no leaks. Unfortunately though because these cars don't generally get driven daily they do develop more leaks than normal. It seems the automatic trans are the hardest to keep dry.
Sheldon

nsmall

I don't see how tightening that Bolt for the training cooler line could fix a leak big as the one I had but it did. Thanks guys.

That little drip was causing a real mess underneath my car.

Thanks

RUNCHARGER

Great! I almost can't go to sleep at night if I know the car has a leak. It drives me nuts.
Sheldon

nsmall

The leak is back.  But its not nearly as bad.  The nut on the tranny cooler line is new.  The line itself is new. The nut is tight. Should I just accept a little leaking? :help:  Im getting close to stripping the car for paint so I am not stressed, but I am trying to resolve as many issues as I can now.

Thanks

Burdar

What material is the line made out of?  Is it mild steel or SS?  SS is a lot harder material and can be hard to seal.

The flare on the line is supposed to do the sealing.  Try loosening the line and tightening it back up a few times.(loosen, tighten, loosen, tighten exc...)  That can help the flare seat against the trans fitting.  Fine Lines recommends a little liquid pipe sealant on the back side of the flare on their SS lines.

It's also possible that the fitting in the trans itself is cracked/damaged.  Unscrew the fitting and have a look at it.  If it looks fine, use a little pipe sealant on the threads and reinstall it. Do not use "right stuff" on that fitting.

nsmall

@Burdar

As always thanks for your help.  The lines are stainless. Appreciate your help. I WILL NOT use the "right stuff"

Neil