Main Menu

Tremec TKX 5 speed manual transmission E body kit

Started by FSHTAIL, June 11, 2021, 11:22:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

Is anyone running this kit?

I see 2 companies that I've seen that has a direct swap in kit.

American Powertrain
And
Silver Sport Transmission. 

I'm doing this on a small block 340LA

What did you end up spending out the door?
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

anlauto

I'm going to try out the TKX on my next build for sure  :banana:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

I got mi front Keisler which is American Power Train now. I got it with the hydraulic clutch setup and I spent $3930.00 about 12 years ago.

anlauto

Quote from: Rich G. on June 12, 2021, 10:38:16 AM
I got mi front Keisler which is American Power Train now. I got it with the hydraulic clutch setup and I spent $3930.00 about 12 years ago.

That would have been the TKO not the TKX ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Rich G.

Ooh O oops! I guess the X is the smaller case?

anlauto

Quote from: Rich G. on June 12, 2021, 11:46:48 AM
Ooh O oops! I guess the X is the smaller case?

Yea, that's their new deal, it's just hitting the market now and advertised as a direct bolt in..

rftroy

Quote from: Chris D. on June 11, 2021, 11:22:48 PM
Is anyone running this kit?

Back to the OP's question. anyone bought or installed one yet?
Hard to judge from one video, but it appears the output shaft is held in about the right location so you won't have to worry about driveline angles. However, that crossmember looks to be hanging WAY down there.
It looks to be hanging down almost as far as the exhaust pipes, and those don't appear to be very well tucked in against the body.

If no one responds that they've put one in yet, I'll give Tremec a call on Monday and see if I can get some dimensions.
It sure would be nice if this works out, as long as you don't make more than 600 foot pounds.  :D
This weighs about 30 pounds less than an A855, and costs about 40% less.

Robert

70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

ragtopdodge

ya, I'd like to compare SST's vs American Powertrain's crossmembers.  ditto the offset shifter mechanism/tower thing.

rftroy

Well, there's something I hadn't thought of. Do you think that Tremec just makes the TKX, and the installation kits are different from different suppliers?
I made the assumption that Tremec makes everything and that SST, American powertrain, others, ar just retailers.
I guess I'll call them all on Monday

Robert
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

anlauto

Tremec just makes the basic transmission, everything else is designed and sold by SST or APT.  :alan2cents:

rikkitik

I was curious too, so last week I requested a quote from SST, which I received Thursday.
$4711, not including an additional $399 for a driveshaft once dimensions are provided.
Plus whatever added $ for a 26 spline clutch disc.
I was pretty sure I was going to hang a GearVendors off the back of my A-833, that quote did nothing to change my mind.

FSHTAIL

Gear vendors isn't fixing how sloppy/notchy these A833's are.   
4k is nothing for what you're getting. 

How long ago was the estimate quote?

Quote from: rikkitik on June 12, 2021, 08:55:05 PM
I was curious too, so last week I requested a quote from SST, which I received Thursday.
$4711, not including an additional $399 for a driveshaft once dimensions are provided.
Plus whatever added $ for a 26 spline clutch disc.
I was pretty sure I was going to hang a GearVendors off the back of my A-833, that quote did nothing to change my mind.
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Voodoo Child

I bought the complete Auto to Manual TKO 600 kit from Silver Sport at Carlisle 7 yrs ago. I think the show price was 4,600 for everything. With the TKO I had to modify the passenger side tunnel hump with the supplied patch plate. Had to modify the bottom of my console to match the tunnel but not noticeable. The biggest PIA was getting the speedo cable to come in straight to the back of the instrument cluster to avoid the needle bouncing. Well over 1,500 miles and no issues! Hydraulic clutch works great and the driveshaft angle was spot on!  :twothumbsup:   

rikkitik

Quote from: Chris D. on June 12, 2021, 09:47:41 PM
Gear vendors isn't fixing how sloppy/notchy these A833's are.   
4k is nothing for what you're getting.
Wow 😕, I would say you and I have completely different opinions of the A-833. When properly set up, the A-833 is my favorite 4spd to drive (also my favorite to work on when necessary).
Of "modern" transmissions I've owned/driven, I seriously dislike the T56 (on multiple levels), and the TR6060, though notchy, is "ok". But, to each his own.
As I mentioned in my original post, (though I guess I was not specific), I received the quote from SST this past Thursday, June 10.
And, just to be clear, your 4k is light. $4711, plus driveshaft and clutch, pushes it out closer to $5300.
No opinion on choice (other than my own), just relaying numbers.