Main Menu

Trying to solve engine not cooling down

Started by blown motor, January 20, 2023, 12:46:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

@Filthy Filbert  Sorry. Brass/copper, as in original, not aluminum. Brain fart.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

dodj

Quote from: blown motor on January 30, 2023, 04:22:24 PM
I checked today and there is not a spring. For what they cost I think I'll get one and put it in.
If the hose is in fact collapsing, replace the hose. It's old. Don't add a spring. They restrict flow, not by a lot, but they reduce it.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

blown motor

Ya maybe I should. I doubt it's an old hose but it didn't seem to have a lot of structural integrity either.

Ramman

As far as radiators go, which is a better for cooling?
1. 2 rows of 1" tubes
2. 3 rows of 3/4" tubes
3. 4 rows of 1/2" tubes
4. It doesn't matter

Thanks group!

blown motor

Quote from: dodj on January 31, 2023, 04:30:05 AM
Quote from: blown motor on January 30, 2023, 04:22:24 PM
I checked today and there is not a spring. For what they cost I think I'll get one and put it in.
If the hose is in fact collapsing, replace the hose. It's old. Don't add a spring. They restrict flow, not by a lot, but they reduce it.

I checked a new hose at Napa this morning and it's just as soft as the hose on the car. A spring might be the only way to go. It might restrict flow a wee bit but not near as much as a collapsed hose.

Cudajason

wait....why are we focused on the lower rad hose????  Did I miss something here.

Murray, you said the rad cap is lose on the Charger rad, that seems to be a problem to me.

When you said you cannot build pressure in the Charger's rad, you mean you put the pressure tester on the rad and it would not build any pressure.  Same deal when testing the cap.

If that is the case that is the problem I would focus on.  The rad should be able to hold pressure, if not you will have a problem.

If the cap is not tight, I would start with a new cap that fits properly.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

blown motor

@Cudajason  I picked up new rad cap this morning and this cap tested hood as it should. But...I can install fully tightened with very little pressure on one finger. I think the neck on the rad is the problem. I'll try to post a video if I can get it to load up but I had trouble doing that yesterday.

Filthy Filbert

sounds like the radiator is out of shape if the pressure tester won't seal tight enough to allow you to build pressure.

Cudajason

Quote from: blown motor on January 31, 2023, 10:48:53 AM
@Cudajason  I picked up new rad cap this morning and this cap tested hood as it should. But...I can install fully tightened with very little pressure on one finger. I think the neck on the rad is the problem. I'll try to post a video if I can get it to load up but I had trouble doing that yesterday.

is there any indication who made the rad?

If so, then may be able to advise on the proper rad cap.

Not having used an aluminum rad before, maybe the caps seal differently, but it sounds like its still loose. 

That and if you cannot build pressure with the rad tester, that indicates a bigger problem.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

blown motor

Cannot find any name on the red as it sits. Could remove fan shroud and look, otherwise I would have to dig deeper to try and find a name.

blown motor

So this is a new cap. I can't see how the cooling system can build pressure with a cap this loose. Agree or disagreee?

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

blown motor

Cudajason

Quote from: blown motor on January 31, 2023, 12:35:54 PM
Haha! I fixed it.

um no that does not look right.

I think that will be most of your problem.