Main Menu

Unidentified Engine Knocking Noise

Started by BluRaySRT, July 30, 2022, 05:45:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

57Fury440

You might have a wiped out lobe on the cam or a collapsed lifter. Hopefully it was just way out of adjustment.

BluRaySRT

Based on visible damage,  I'm going to try just replacing the push rod.   I can crank the engine to see if it appears to be working  I would like to see the cam,  but I'm not ready to take most of the engine apart.   Here is a picture of the broken push rod.   The cup on top of the lifter seperated from it.   It was probably out of adjustment and eventually gave up the ghost.   

I was also to use a scope and take a picture of the top of the lifter.   Can anyone tell if this is an hydrolic lifter or solid.  If hydrolic,  should I be able to push down on it and feel movement?   I figure this might be a way to see if it is frozen.   

Thanks

BluRaySRT

headejm

Looks like a hydraulic lifter.

Hopefully, that one rocker arm came out of adjustment. Otherwise, you need to dig deeper. Check the valve lash of the other valves to see if they are off. Hopefully, they are out of adjustment too. Then just replace the pushrod and adjust all of the valves.

RUNCHARGER

It's a hydraulic lifter. If you can't pull the lifter up and out to verify it isn't mushroomed and the cam isn't missing that lobe you'll have to check it another way. Sorry but I'd really be worried you have lost a lifter and cam lobe causing the pushrod to be loose and subsequently break. Did you pull the dipstick by chance? Other thing you might want to do is dump and inspect the oil looking for metal.
Also I'm curious how many threads of the adjuster show below the surface of the rocker. Ideal is 2 threads showing, it's possible you have less than that which could contribute to bad rocker geometry and problems like this.
Sheldon

71vert340

With a new pushrod and rocker reinstalled, cranking the engine for a few seconds without the engine firing will tell you if you wiped a lobe on cam if that one shows a little or no movement compared to the others. I've wiped a cam lobe and lifters one time. Lots of metal in pan and oil.
Terry W.

headejm

You could also cut your oil filter open and check the individual filter pleats for metal debris. Easier than just looking at the oil.

BluRaySRT

All great suggestions!!!   I will check as much as I can without tearing the engine apart.  I will install the new push rod and make the adjustments as recommended.  I will let you all know how things go.  Thanks again!   

Chryco Psycho

If you have a strong magnet you should be able to pull the lifter out & look at it , re-install the same way but with a long screwdriver to hold the lifter down while you pull the magnet off .

57Fury440

What did you find out after reassembling? Did it work?

HP_Cuda

Before starting that sucker back up I'd take the scope and check out the piston/cylinder to see if you had any PTV issues.

If there are none, then you need to root cause why that rod decided to derail.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200