Main Menu

Lifter noise

Started by jabber353, January 17, 2018, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jabber353

Hey guys. New to the forum. Looking for advise. I just put a very light cam in my 340 Cuda. Replaced cam, lifters, push rods & new rocker assemblies. Car runs great & sounds great until operating temp is reached. Lifters, rockers get very noisy. Car runs great but sounds like crap. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Rich G.

What's your oil pressure after it gets hot?

71-440

:welcome:

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who will be able to help diagnose your problem. 
Joe

jabber353

Roadman

First, welcome aboard.  :welcome:  Roller or flat tappet ? Hyd or solid ? Give us some more info on the motor.   :wave:

jabber353

30-45 at idle. Sounds like crap at stop light but runs great. ????

jabber353

jabber353

Pretty much a stock 340 except for very light cam. I removed a heavier cam & wasn't making this noise. I'm gonna check the old pushrods & see if they are longer than the new ones.

cudabob496

look under valve cover to see if anything hitting
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Jim AAR

If your Oil pressure is lower than 45 Lbs at idle, that could be the cause, Oil Pressure should be between 45 & 65 Lbs at 1000 R.P.M.

Does the noise go away when you rev it to 1500 rpm and your oil pressure climbs?

I attached the Service Manual instructions for 340's about Tappet Noise. See attached PDF's

HP_Cuda

Could be a spring issue or possibly PTV issue.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Lloyd Lind

Well with a " big cam" you get valve springs to match. Could be your problem with the new smaller lift the springs are wrong. Check your cam card for the specs and then try and get them for Your old cam Or a problem with your push rod length as you said.

Chryco Psycho

Tough to diagnose from here !
First welcome to the site .
Pushrod length is my first thought , the cup in the lifter could be slightly lower so the lifter cannot adjust , do you know what brand of lifter was used , the Only good one left is Johnson , another though is are the rocker shafts on properly with the oil holes pointed down ?

Cuda Cody

Pushrod length was my first thought too.  Have you double checked to see if they are adjusted right?

What oil are you using?