Main Menu

Valve cover bolt length

Started by nsmall, August 28, 2018, 04:45:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

So I have a set of 3/4 inch ARP bolts for my valve covers and unfortunately no matter what washer I use they come loose and the threads barely bite.

I have polished aluminum Mopar performance valve covers with super performance carbon X gaskets

I roughly measured and seems like I can get a 1.25 inch bolt in there.

So my question is and I know it might sound silly, is there any sort of potential problem I have with putting in a long bolt in my head? I just wanted to make sure that there's nothing that could possibly hit the bolt?

Does 1. 25 in sound way too long?  Like I said the 3/4 inch bolt was barely hitting the threads. 

Thank you

Burdar

Just measured a stock bolt and it was 3/4" from the bottom of the washer to the bottom of the bolt. That works fine for a stock stamped steel cover but your aluminum covers are thicker. You can try the 1.25" but they might be too long. You can always use a thicker washer to shorten it up a little.

Take the covers off and screw the bolt in the head until it bottoms out. Measure how much of the bolt is sticking out of the head. Then measure the valvecover and gasket thickness. You obviously want the valvecover/gasket thickness to be thicker then how much bolt is sticking out of the head.

GoodysGotaCuda

Don't bottom the bolt out in the head, but the mopar covers are very thick. 1.25" wouldn't surprise me.

How much for the arp bolts??? :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

nsmall

Thanks my 72-74 brothers.  it's a long story but I'll have to cut off my valve covers  gaskets at this point because of some RTV so I'll just try my best not to bottom out.  it's just one area on the rear passenger side where I have a tiny drip so maybe I'll just snuggle one down on that baby and call it a day for now.