Main Menu

What fuel octane do you use?

Started by 303 Mopar, November 12, 2017, 06:35:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudabob496

I don't understand, a normal 440 is supposed to be at about 36 BTDC, for
max power. About 36, maybe plus or minus 1 or 2 degrees.
I don't think you can keep increasing it to 38, 40, 42, etc, just by using
a higher octane fuel, and expect to make more power, each time you
up the octane rating.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: Up here I use Chevron 94 octane in anything I like driving (Viper and old cars).
Sheldon

https://youtu.be/ECc-HQgQhig

Looks like Shell doesn't like people filming at their gate .

BIGSHCLUNK

Generally 93..  I've run race gas.... no performance difference  I've topped off w mid-grade a few times too. Never pinged. Timing at 35, NIKKI throws a hissy at 36 

ZEN357

Octane ratings 
Understanding octane ratings.
About octane ratings
Octane rating is a measure of a fuel's ability to resist 'knock'. The octane requirement of an engine varies with compression ratio, geometrical and mechanical considerations and operating conditions. The higher the octane number the greater the fuel's resistance to knocking or pinging during combustion.
The octane ratings of Exxon- and Mobil-branded Synergyâ„¢ gasoline
Exxon and Mobil Regular Unleaded Octane 87
Exxon Plus and Mobil Special Unleaded Octane 89
Exxon Supreme and Mobil Super+ Unleaded Octane 91-93

The right octane level for your vehicle
The recommended octane rating for most vehicles is usually octane 87, but be sure to check your vehicle owner's manual. Ordinarily, a vehicle will not benefit from using an octane higher than recommended in the owner's manual. However, some car models have high-compression engines and electronic controls, which are designed to benefit from the greater power output and improved fuel economy of high octane fuel. Since octane requirements can vary with operating and environmental conditions, your vehicle may need a higher octane fuel than recommended to prevent knocking.

GoodysGotaCuda

I use 93, I can probably run 87 without issue but I prefer the knock protection.

If I start doing long cruises I can pull timing with a button and run it, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

CudaMoparRay

I always use 91 octane, the highest available here.

JS29

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on August 22, 2018, 12:36:09 PM
I always use 91 octane, the highest available here.
Me to Non Ethanol  :alan2cents: