Main Menu

Where is my coolant leak?

Started by kawahonda, September 21, 2018, 07:44:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Hmmm, it seems like Irontite only sells the colored bottles now.

Green: Flush. I'll certainly get this one.

Blue: "All weather" seal:
Pour and Go - into your existing coolant mixture
Stays dissolved and suspended now and long into the future.
Stops Leaks in Radiators, Head Gaskets, Cylinder Heads, and Engine Blocks
Works in Gas or Diesel Engines
Works in Aluminium and Cast Iron Blocks and on hoses and any other kind of material.

Red: Ceramic seal, "Coats to Fill Cracks and Porousness. Prevents Rust, Corrosion and Leaks"

I think the idea is to flush and drain the system (green bottle). Then fill up cooling system part ways with water and add the red bottle. Run the engine for a very short period of time. Drain it again. Then, fill it up with coolant and add the "blue" bottle.

Seems to me that the "red" bottle is doing all the work, and the blue bottle is essentially just maintainance.

I'll buy the kit (which is all three) and give this a shot.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

CudaMoparRay

Wishing you the best of luck but with all those confusing multiple colored bottles it is enough for me to "Go Hit the Bottle'   :drunk:

RUNCHARGER

I still don't see the one that repairs sheetmetal. I can see the stuff working on headgaskets alright though.
Sheldon

kawahonda

Metal is porous, so yes, it may work.

I'm about done with Step 1, which is just using the green bottle and flushing the shit out of it. I made the mistake of starting at 6PM. It's now 9, and I'm still flushing it. Doing a good flush takes a long time.

My guess is that the green bottle is basically phosphoric acid and cleaners and degreasers. I already ran that through. This probably leaves an etching, similar to vinegar.

Now it's getting absolutely all color out and that takes awhile.

Next step is the ceramic seal. This is probably the magic ticket for me.  Your supposed to only use this stuff with distilled water. Run for 1 hour or drive for two days. I'll probably idle with it to full operating temp several times over the next few days since I'm still waiting on my damn seats.

Once that's done it's time to flush again, and refill with coolant and the third bottle, which is probably similar to Bars, but probably better.

$50 for the set. Question is, will it work and tide me over from needing to pull engine for another year. That's money well spent. Did it do anything? If not, then money not well spent.

Fingers crossed. All is well so far. Heater blows nice and hot during and after the flushing.

kawahonda

It's midnight, and I'm now rocking step 2.

In the process, I replaced the upper radiator hose screw-clamps with some proper stock pinch clamps.

Got 99.5% of all the coolant out. Definitely the Bar's treatment is gone by now. Put in the ceramic seal bottle and distilled water. Got it to operating temps. Pulled it outside and left it running and cleaned out the work area and got it dry and put a pan out.

Hopefully in the next day or two I will be able to post some feedback. If step 2 doesn't at least solve the minor leak then I have doubts about step 3 doing much.

So far, so good. I was getting some water pump noise after the flush treament, but it vanished in a few minutes after some good cycling.

Not much else to say, other than it took me forever to fully flush the coolant out. I had some green dye in there previously, so I wasn't sure if I was looking at residual dye or coolant. I pretty much got everything out regardless, though.

Chryco Psycho

kawahonda

Chryco is super excited to see what the results are!

I did a 25 minute, and a 50 minute heat cycle this evening.

Heater still blowing nice and hot. No fogging or anything. The product obviously does not cause any harm if you follow the instructions.

I'll repeat what I did today tomorrow, and begin the flush either tomorrow night or Saturday morning.

Zerex G-05 is pretty much what to use for these cars? Probably will do a 50/50 mix w/ distilled water.