Main Menu

Where To Put The Temperature Sensor?

Started by Daveh, April 06, 2018, 11:43:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hi guys,

I just bought an Edelbrock Performer Intake to put on my 340 and man does it have a lot of ports on it.  My question is what are your thoughts on where to put the temperature sensor?  They're always near the thermostat but what if I put it in the rear of the intake out of the way will my reading be as accurate or should I just leave it by the thermostat housing?  Thanks

Dave

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-21763

GoodysGotaCuda

Nothing on the back of the intake is wet. It needs to be up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 06, 2018, 12:05:35 PM
Nothing on the back of the intake is wet. It needs to be up front.

Yup...

Daveh

Ok thanks.  What typically would the rear ports be used for? 

GoodysGotaCuda

Vacuum pickup for power brakes.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Daveh

is there a place where I will get more vacuum the back of the carb or the rear of the intake.  Or will they be both the same?  Is there preference? 

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Daveh on April 06, 2018, 01:02:45 PM
is there a place where I will get more vacuum the back of the carb or the rear of the intake.  Or will they be both the same?  Is there preference?

Use the intake port for power brake booster and the port on the back of the carb for the PCV valve.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Daveh on April 06, 2018, 01:02:45 PM

The big carb port is typically used for the PCV valve. The threaded ports on the manifold are typically for power brakes.

I don't believe you will see a performance difference if they were switched.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Daveh

Daveh

One last question on Chevy's the water passages are in the front and rear.  SBM's are only in the front? 

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Daveh on April 06, 2018, 01:53:13 PM
One last question on Chevy's the water passages are in the front and rear.  SBM's are only in the front?
Correct! 

Daveh

Chryco Psycho

The ehads have water passages at both ends but the intake blocks the rear ports , you could tap a hole into the intake so that the temp sensor is in the rear head port circulation would be less there & I bet it would read slightly hotter too