Main Menu

Which Comp Cam

Started by 70RTSE383, July 19, 2019, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

Finally ready to order parts and get my 440 bottom end to the machine shop in a week or so. I'm doing 440 with stock forged crank and maybe stock rods. Compression will be 9.8-10:1 with stealth heads using stock valvetrain. I am looking at either a Comp hyd. Flat tapper XE268H or maybe 274H. I am running a 727 and could put a little higher stall speed convert and have 3:23 gears. Intake will be Eddy RPM and Eddy 750 carb. I need to run power brakes so need good vacuum. I will use headers and 2.5" exhaust. I want the car (70 Challenger RT Se) to be relatively tame in traffic but haul the fr
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Brads70

On Mopars I'm a big fan of Lunati cams?  :lurking:

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Brads70 on July 19, 2019, 04:00:13 PM
On Mopars I'm a big fan of Lunati cams?  :lurking:

What does make mopar people like going for lunati over for example comp?

Brads70

Comp usually takes common grinds like Chevy and  uses them on Mopar grinds, with Mopars (and AMC's) having a larger lifter diameter Lunati utilizes this feature in their grinds. Just an opinion.... everyone has one!  :D

Chryco Psycho

There is a lot of science to designing a cam , Mopar are nothing like a Chev. Wider lifters allow faster ramp speeds , Also the rod ratio is totally different which changes piston speeds at different areas of the rotational cycle . You need a cam designed to work with totally different engineering in the engine most companies do not bother to actually design a cam properly for Mopars , Lunati , Engle & Bullet actually do this .
Even if the cam specs are the same it doesn't tell you how fast the valve is opened or how long it stays at max lift .
Stay away from Comp in a Mopar  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Lunati does seem to work a little better in a Mopar lately, that is also what I would install.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

I've used Comp Cams in my 383s in the past, same grinds as what you are asking about if I remember correctly and they sucked.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 19, 2019, 06:56:05 PM
I like this one for your application.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/lun-10230702lk/overview/make/dodge

The wife's 440 powered Challenger is running this cam in a very similar build as the OP.

Fresh 10 to 1 rebuilt 440 with Stealth heads and Six Pack induction.
11" factory HP type converter with 3.23 rear gear.
Hooker 1 7/8" headers with 2 1/2" full exhaust
Engine pulls 17-18 hg vacuum at idle

Engine has great street manners with lots of low end power.
Not a race car build but my wife is very happy with the car's performance and driveability.

70RTSE383

thanks for all your thoughts on this. One thing though is does anyone truly know if either the Comp or Lunati have lobes optimized for the larger diameter Mopar lifters? Or any other cam manufacturer for that matter ?
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

RUNCHARGER

Comp absolutely doesn't. They use the same lobe profiles that they developed for the Chevrolet.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Lunati hired the Man who ran Ultradyne Cams & designed special grinds for the wider Mopar lifters , this is when the Voodoo series was created .
Bullet still uses the Ultradyne designs also .

70RTSE383

Great, appreciate the more in depth insight. Cry I, do you think the Vodoo 703 would be too much of a stretch vs the 702?
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 20, 2019, 10:22:45 AM
Lunati hired the Man who ran Ultradyne Cams & designed special grinds for the wider Mopar lifters , this is when the Voodoo series was created .
Bullet still uses the Ultradyne designs also .

Thank you for clearing this up. I have often wondered what made them the go to cam manufacturer.

RUNCHARGER

The 703 will work fine with a bit of a convertor. As long as your convertor won't be slipping at highway speeds with the 3.23.
Sheldon