Main Menu

Which Comp Cam

Started by 70RTSE383, July 19, 2019, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

Thanks RC. Any thoughts on what stall speed might work. Converters are even more of a mystery to me than anything else on a car. Round hydraulic black box.😊
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Chryco Psycho

generally you need a converter that locks 4-500 rpm above the low rpm where the cam works

70RTSE383

70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 20, 2019, 12:13:29 PM
generally you need a converter that locks 4-500 rpm above the low rpm where the cam works

Not trying to hijack this thread but figure the more information the better and Chryco is spilling some beans  :grouphug:

You have changed my mind on going with comp, unfortunately I already installed it in my 340. BUT live and learn. What do you think of this cam?  https://www.lunatipower.com/voodoo-hydraulic-flat-tappet-cam-lifter-kit-chrysler-273-360-268-276.html

According to some of the numbers I've seen I should be okay with the stock 904 converter that was mated up to my 318 (2125-2425). Biggest question is though do I need headers or would I be able to get by using the HiPo 340 manifolds, 3.54 gearing, Eddie air gap, and Eddie 750 carb? Of course I could be completely wrong.

RUNCHARGER

It would prefer a bit more stall and a set of headers but it will still work okay.
Sheldon

Brads70

If you have already installed it you might as well go with it?  :dunno:

cordodge

I ran a Lunati in a hopped up 360 years ago, Not sure of all the Cam info but it had a .507 lift and it worked awesome.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Brads70 on July 20, 2019, 04:45:08 PM
If you have already installed it you might as well go with it?  :dunno:

Yeah but it hasn't been broken in or anything and the engine is still on the stand so it wouldn't take much  :yes:

Chryco Psycho

I would suggest a bit more converter or the 702 cam . as Run says it will work , it may be a bit lazy for the first 20" or so off the line but you can try it as is & swap a converter later .
30 years ago the Lunati would be pre VooDoo , the grinds were all improved When Harold was Hired by Lunati

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 20, 2019, 07:28:50 PM
I would suggest a bit more converter or the 702 cam . as Run says it will work , it may be a bit lazy for the first 20" or so off the line but you can try it as is & swap a converter later .
30 years ago the Lunati would be pre VooDoo , the grinds were all improved When Harold was Hired by Lunati

The 702 would be okay even without the roller rockers it suggests?

Chryco Psycho

Often less is more !
the 702 has power to 5700 rpm , how often do you plan to rev it to red line ?
If you plan to use the top end powerband a lot the 703 may be a btter choice , it depends how you want to use the engine !
On the other hand 340s like to rev so the 703 could be a great choice if you are not looking to shred the tires for 100" off the line

Chryco Psycho

BTW I am always available to "spill the beans"
Mopars need to be beating up other makes , I am not likely to ever be racing you & I want to share the knowledge & I am happy to learn from you also  !

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 20, 2019, 07:57:39 PM
Often less is more !
the 702 has power to 5700 rpm , how often do you plan to rev it to red line ?
If you plan to use the top end powerband a lot the 703 may be a btter choice , it depends how you want to use the engine !
On the other hand 340s like to rev so the 703 could be a great choice if you are not looking to shred the tires for 100" off the line

In all honesty the car will mostly be a weekend cruiser with a once a year trek to Carlisle thrown in there as well to hang out with the group. 702 I think will be my choice as I will get more joy laying down some rubber with the sure grip rear. Then just letting the engine enjoy some nice mid range rpm's on the highway here.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 20, 2019, 08:00:33 PM
BTW I am always available to "spill the beans"
Mopars need to be beating up other makes , I am not likely to ever be racing you & I want to share the knowledge & I am happy to learn from you also  !

Also, thank you again!

6pack

a custom grind is the best way to go.  Go roller if you can afford it.  With custom they take all factors into consideration and taylor a grind directly to your needs. Like rear ratio, weight, fuel/system type and compression  What a difference. I do not know of a mopar cam guy.  They just send the specs to a company like bullet and they actually grind it.  It is the way to go.