Main Menu

Why 2 ring gears

Started by 61K T/A, January 26, 2017, 07:43:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

61K T/A

I removed my inspection plate and this is what I found.

Cuda Cody

My guess (and this is only a guess) is that good torque converters are not cheap so they may have had a really nice one that was to small.  So welding a larger ring for the starter was all that was needed to use it and save some money.   :dunno:  It's only needed to start the car anyway, so as long as it's welded on good and balanced, probably will not an issue.

anlauto

Wow...What "stall" is the convertor ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Timbbuc2

That must have been balanced pretty darn good
Get in, I'll drive

61K T/A

That was some idea some one had eh? I've never seen that before, any where.  Must be old school technology!

61K T/A

Quote from: anlauto on January 26, 2017, 07:57:03 AM

Don't know, yet. No need to drop the trans.

Cuda Cody

What's wrong with your trans?

Quote from: 61K T/A on January 26, 2017, 05:17:49 PM

71GranCoupe

Just when you think you have seen it all.  :clueless: :huh: :clueless: :dunno:

Chryco Psycho

First time I have seen that but I tend to learn every day !! :thinking:

61K T/A

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 26, 2017, 05:28:49 PM
What's wrong with your trans?
[/quote]

The trans shifts fine. While i'm replacing the 6qt. pan to a 7, I wanted to "inspect" what's behind the cover.

HP_Cuda

Wow never seen that before but I think @Cuda Cody is spot on.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

HP2

Quote from: 61K T/A on January 26, 2017, 05:17:49 PM

Don't need to drop the trans to find out. While idling at a stop, stab the throttle all the way down, observe how high the rpm needle flashes before the car starts to move. This is your convertor flash stall speed.

61K T/A

This motor explodes when I stab it. I almost crap my pants. I was concentrating on the road and not my gauges every time I drove it.  :takealook:

HP2

Only takes three seconds from dead stop on the street in front of your garage. No need to drive it any where but 50' forward to test the flash. If its that powerful, you'll blow the tires off an may not move forward at all, but then you'll leave a couple of really cool racing strips in the road.

Of course, you could take it to a drag strip on test and tune night where you can do this on a prepared track in front of the watchful eye of trained safety crews. Would also give you a chance to lay down e.t. and m.p.h. numbers to validate your seat of the pants feel.

Barracuda7199

Considering that it has the bigger 7/16ths bolts it has to be an aftermarket stall. Can't say I have ever seen one with a ring gear like that though. But if it works fine and your happy with it I wouldn't touch a thing. The stall test would be a good thing to try and it's fun too!