Main Menu

What gears in a833

Started by soundcontrol, May 11, 2017, 02:29:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

I'm gonna order a refurbished a833 tranny now for my -73 project with a 5.7 Hemi, got 3:23 in the rear. There is a few alternatives on gears I can choose, first gear: 3.09 2.47 or 2.66, and then an OD mod with .76 on the fourth, he (the builder) says that those are a bit uneven in between the gears. Since I had only 1 manual car (my first Cuda, I was 19), I don't even remember what it feels like to drive one, so I'm asking all you stick shift experienced people here, whats a good choice? And what is standard on first gear?

Cuda Cody

Is the builder in the State or local to you?

The hard part for me is the engine you are using.  I just don't have any experience with it.  What's Dan doing with his trans gears?  @303 Mopar

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 11, 2017, 02:54:04 PM
Is the builder in the State or local to you?

The hard part for me is the engine you are using.  I just don't have any experience with it.  What's Dan doing with his trans gears?  @303 Mopar

Builder is local, well known and recommended here.

Here is the new Challenger ratios, with a 3:73 rear and 18" Wheels, not sure how to compare though.
1st   2.97
2nd   2.10
3rd   1.46
4th   1.00
5th    0.74
6th    0.50

Found this calculator, pretty cool, at least to know the rpm's at normal speeds in fourth.
http://www.advanced-ev.com/Calculators/TireSize/index.html

HP_Cuda

Depends on your hp and torque numbers. Heck a dyno graph would make it fairly easy to decide
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

6bblgt

using the above website & the gear ratios I put this chart together using a 26" tall tire
your final drive ratio is the transmission gear multiplied by the rear axle ratio - I added MPH in each gear at 3000 RPM

what RPM & MPH would you like to be able to cruise at?

one downside to the '70s overdrive gear set is the big drop in RPM/MPH between 2nd & 3rd

soundcontrol

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 11, 2017, 05:17:54 PM
using the above website & the gear ratios I put this chart together using a 26" tall tire
your final drive ratio is the transmission gear multiplied by the rear axle ratio - I added MPH in each gear at 3000 RPM

what RPM & MPH would you like to be able to cruise at?

one downside to the '70s overdrive gear set is the big drop in RPM/MPH between 2nd & 3rd

Thanks, looks like a 1.0 on fourth will be good. Don't really want big gaps in rpm between the gears. Think I go with 2.66 on first.

303 Mopar

I'm installing the 18 spline Passon 4 spd OD, with 18" wheels, 3.55 gears and a 392 Hemi.  Unfortunately I do not have it running yet, and I'm still in line for the Passon 5 spd but was tired of waiting for something that may/may not ever happen.

2.66, 1.59. 1.00, .80

soundcontrol

I talked to another friend today and he recommended me to get more of an overdrive on fourth, like the 0,76.
Maybe thats the way to go.... :notsure:

autoxcuda

Quote from: soundcontrol on May 12, 2017, 03:58:13 PM
I talked to another friend today and he recommended me to get more of an overdrive on fourth, like the 0,76.
Maybe thats the way to go.... :notsure:

I know someone that had one behind a stroker Hemi and didn't like the gear splits. Put in a tremec to replace it.

You're not driving it daily. So the extra noise of the rpms and less mpg shouldn't be a big deal. Not worth the fun taken out (and annoyance) by the gear splits.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

soundcontrol

Just talked to the builder and he recommended the same thing, no OD on fourth with a 3:23 in the rear so I went with 1.0.

HP_Cuda

Works for me.

At some point there will be a viable 5 speed solution and then I will go up to 3.73 rear gear ratio.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

soundcontrol

Just picked up my a833! Now I need to save up for the parts around it, flywheel, clutch, linkage, pistol grip shifter.

Cuda Cody

Looks good!  Can't wait until you're rowing that thing down the street.  One of the greatest feelings when driving a muscle car.   :burnout: