Main Menu

Engine Paint

Started by tparker, September 14, 2020, 02:33:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Hopefully I get my Engine back at the end of the month and put it in sometime in Oct. I'll need to paint it and have a few questions and thoughts.

Any one have experience with Mopar engine paint? It comes in a can. There is little info on it and not sure if it needs primer and/or clear coat. Any reason not to use the can or mopar brand engine paint?

I can use a spray gun but my main draw back is I don't like the look of clear coated engine paint. It seems to shiny. I don't ever recall seeing an engine painted like that. The other issue is the cost and waste. The engine won't take that much paint. But, what are other options? Does clear coat come in a duller flat or matte? Any engine paint suggestions? I live in California so some paint is tough to get.

Tom

DeathProofCuda

I have no idea what the current Mopar engine paints are like, but in the past the common complaint was that they were way too thin. 

As far as I know, the "real" Mopar restorers out there typically use Frank Baldason's engine paints shot through a spray gun.  They are $65/pint and can be found here.  http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/FileStream.aspx?FileID=1

I've never used them myself, but looks to be a single stage and non-catalyzed enamel paint, so you wouldn't need to use a clear coat.  I suppose you could also add some enamel hardener though.  I believe its recommended to spray over epoxy primer, but obviously you'd want to verify with the Frank before going that route.

Personally, I have used rattle cans of both Duplicolor and Plastikote versions of Chrysler orange in the past.  I like the Plastickote color better (more orange and less brown).  It is code 226.  I also used their engine specific primer on everything prior to the paint. :alan2cents:

JonH

Depends on what you want. I use Plastikote engine paint with ceramic. Available at your local parts store and cheap compared to other options. I have never used a primer coat on an engine block. Very satisfied with the outcome for a daily driver...

76orangewagon

I recently used Frank Badalson's paint since the motor needed to be Corporate Blue but the motors before that were hemi orange. I went to my local automotive paint supplier and had them mix me single stage EV2 (Hemi Orange) without the metal flake.

tparker

Awesome, thanks. I'll look into the Frank Badalson's painnh and Plastikote. Hadn't heard of either of them.

@JonH I just want to paint it. :D