Main Menu

Wix oil filters

Started by RJChallenger, May 09, 2019, 06:54:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RJChallenger

I just picked up my first non Fram oil filter from NAPA, for my 440. it's half the length of the PH8 fram filter I'm replacing. Is the proselct 21068  the wix filter everyone here is using ? or should I be asking for a different filter #    . Thanks

Cuda Cody

Anything is better than a Fram.  :alan2cents:

Oldschool

I have run Fram HP1 oil filters exclusively on all of of my Big Block and Hemi Mopars. Never had 1 issue with them - never. That's what's on the Cuda as we speak. 0.02....

anlauto

Quote from: RJChallenger on May 09, 2019, 06:54:39 AM
I just picked up my first non Fram oil filter from NAPA, for my 440. it's half the length of the PH8 fram filter I'm replacing. Is the proselct 21068  the wix filter everyone here is using ? or should I be asking for a different filter #    . Thanks

Yes there is a longer one, I just don't have the number handy...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Both Wix and NAPA (both are Wix filters) list the shorter filter when you do a search for Chrysler BB engines. The Wix filter you want is 51515 or NAPA Gold is 1515. Both filters are 5.2" tall and you should always try to run the largest filter possible that fits the application.  :cheers:

P.S. I too have always ran Fram filters and I worked for Fram for several years as a design engineer. Believe me that Fram wouldn't be selling the quantity of filters they are selling if they were problematic. Collateral damage from a filter (either air or oil) failure is a very expensive problem for any filter manufacturer. With that said, I believe the Wix/NAPA filters are more robust than the Fram filters.

Strawdawg

If you cut a Fram HP filter open and compare it to a regular Fram filter, you will find it is completely different inside unless they have been changed in the past couple of years.  The Wix filters are much stronger inside than the regular Fram filters and far less likely to collapse inside.
Steve

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on May 09, 2019, 07:25:39 AM
Quote from: RJChallenger on May 09, 2019, 06:54:39 AM

Yes there is a longer one, I just don't have the number handy...

WIX 51515 is the longer one....

BIGSHCLUNK

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Katfish

anlauto

For what it's worth....These are WIX filters too....  :twothumbsup: http://www.herbsparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1851658-R

Oldschool

I just ordered 6 of the Mopar Performance/Racing black filters for me and my buddy's Big Block and Hemi cars. $8 bucks apiece. My dealer has all I could ever want of them for that price.     :ohyeah:

Spikedog08

Here is the oil filter that I use in both my big blocks!  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-p4452890?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-mopar-performance&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI75CdnaKR4gIVFYGzCh3xIgdaEAkYASABEgKjd_D_BwE

Here in Michigan, I live in a MOPAR town, certainly a large amount of MOPARs running around here.  This is the filter that a lot of the old timers say to use and that is enough for me to search this out and buy it.  I think I bought 12 my last purchase and have 4 left.   :bigthumb:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

challengermaniac

Can we continue the same discussion regarding the best Wix filter for the 340?

Thanks
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

Oldschool

Quote from: Spikedog08 on May 10, 2019, 08:22:40 AM
Here is the oil filter that I use in both my big blocks!  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-p4452890?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-mopar-performance&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI75CdnaKR4gIVFYGzCh3xIgdaEAkYASABEgKjd_D_BwE

Here in Michigan, I live in a MOPAR town, certainly a large amount of MOPARs running around here.  This is the filter that a lot of the old timers say to use and that is enough for me to search this out and buy it.  I think I bought 12 my last purchase and have 4 left.   :bigthumb:
I understand that those are also made by WIX and are made for racing/high performance applications...