Main Menu

How do you heat your shop

Started by Shoooter, April 26, 2017, 08:26:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

How do you guys heat your shop . I want to run natural gas put there but it is going to be a real pain to get it there (detached shop) and expensive because of a few other things. So what does everyone do? My shop is 1200sq ft.

I dont want to burn wood or use a pellet stove.

Natural gas setup is expensive and might not work

I found a heater that can run on propane or natural gas. It is 100 000 btu. Has anyone heated a shop on propane? How long would a 100lb tank last if I wanted to keep the shop warm all winter?

Has anyone ran solar power to run electric heat like a baseboard heater?

Just trying to see what everyone has done.

RUNCHARGER

In our moderate climate I just run a 220 volt contractor heater when I am working in the garage but mine is only 500 square feet.
Sheldon

Shoooter

I had one in my old shop . When I had it on low all the time my bill went up about 100 a month.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I just turn it on an hour before I start working. In one  of my shops I used an old oil furnace and burned diesel in it. That worked pretty well. Another good setup is those stoves that burn old oil, Then you want to canvas all your buddies for their used oil.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

I've got a 500 gallon propane tank in the ground for the work shop.  Not sure it's the best way, but it works pretty good for what I need.  I don't run the heat much though.  Just enough to keep it about about 44 degrees in the winter when I'm not out there working and it heats up the 3,000 sf space to about 65 degrees in about 1 hour when I need it.

rocketresto

I run a 220v heater for my 1800 sq ft shop, does an OK job but does get expensive in the winter.
Rocket Restorations
Olympia, Washington

CudaMoparRay

My shop is my two car garage, so I heat it with whatever car I take out for a trip and take advantage of the 3 hours of engine heat with the hood open it gives me to work on my other car.

soundcontrol

Garage is heated by a air/air heatpump, pretty much the same as an AC unit, it can also cool in the summer.
Seems to be the most cost efficient way of heating smaller buildings with few rooms here (Sweden, it's cold in the winter).

My house is heated in two ways, a big central placed wood burning fireplace made out of soapstone 2,5 tons heavy. A fire in that and the house heats up in 15 minutes and stay warm for 24 hrs. And also radiant floor heating built in to the concrete slab, floor pipes heated by a heatpump that reuses the heat in the outgoing ventilation air. Heating cost is around 200 bucks a month in the winter, nothing in the summer.

Aar1064

My garage is about 950 sq ft. I use an infrared propane 30,000 btu heater mounted on wall and I can get through winter here in Tennessee with one tank full of propane. November thru March. Tank is a 120 gallon. I keep it on the lowest setting and it'll keep garage at about 65 degrees.

My garage is well insulated though so that helps tremendously. Have insulation in the walls as well as attic space. Garage doors are also insulated.

I bought it at tractor supply for about 2 bills.

Shoooter

Quote from: Aar1064 on April 27, 2017, 04:31:29 AM
My garage is about 950 sq ft. I use an infrared propane 30,000 btu heater mounted on wall and I can get through winter here in Tennessee with one tank full of propane. November thru March. Tank is a 120 gallon. I keep it on the lowest setting and it'll keep garage at about 65 degrees.

My garage is well insulated though so that helps tremendously. Have insulation in the walls as well as attic space. Garage doors are also insulated.

I bought it at tractor supply for about 2 bills.

What brand or model is it?

Timbbuc2

I purchased a window unit, heat pump. So I have ac and heat. Bought it from Lowes, I didnt have a window in my shop, so I installed it in a wall, it really does a good job. Plus I have to fans mounted in the ceiling to circulate .
Get in, I'll drive

rhamson

I run a Reznor propane unit. I have had it over twenty years. My shop is 1,700 sq' and the cost is around $500 dollars a year.

1 Wild R/T

Solar Power...... Well Ok, I let the sun warm it up... Just an advantage of living where I do.. :veryexcited:

fc7cuda

:iagree:

Yeah, around here we just open the doors to heat it up.  :yes:

Seriously, I use a portable electric space heater.  Just move it to the area where I'm working.  Does great.

JS29

Central New, York what I say. Oil fired boiler with A hanging Modine unit in the work shop, hot water base board in the paint booth and office. I do however have A attached garage with A wood burning kitchen range that will not only heat the room, but I have baked pizza and cooked supper while working out there.