Main Menu

340 header vs manifold

Started by tparker, July 09, 2020, 12:26:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

NO WAY would I pay $700 for factory exhaust manifolds unless I was building an OE car.

There are some fitment issues with full length headers that make them a PITA.  For one if you have an automatic, the cooler lines probably won't fit without modification.  Some headers encapsulate the starter making it hard to R&R.  If the OP isn't concerned about getting all the HP out of his combo then I'd recommend the TTI shorty headers.  They fit and look great.  There is no down side IMO. 

HP2

Smallblock340

Another short read on a budget street 360. Exhaust manifolds vs Pace Setter Shorty Headers, Hooker Street Headers and Hooker Super Comp Headers.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/comparing-headers-and-manifolds/
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

nsmall

I like my TTI ceramic coated headers I have on my 340.  In my opinion I don't notice them being any hotter but I do have some good insulation/heat barrier under my carpet.  The clearance is very good in my opinion on these headers.  it woke my car up but I did have 1973 340 manifolds which were pretty restrictive from what little I know.  Let the 416 rip.   It sounds like you're not a horsepower junkie so I'm sure you're fine either way.

Cudakiller70

Quote from: Burdar on July 10, 2020, 06:27:45 AM
NO WAY would I pay $700 for factory exhaust manifolds unless I was building an OE car.

There are some fitment issues with full length headers that make them a PITA.  For one if you have an automatic, the cooler lines probably won't fit without modification.  Some headers encapsulate the starter making it hard to R&R.  If the OP isn't concerned about getting all the HP out of his combo then I'd recommend the TTI shorty headers.  They fit and look great.  There is no down side IMO.
:iagree:
Running  TTI Shorty headers on 340 4 speed. No down sides at all, great clearance for everything.

bennydodge

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on July 10, 2020, 08:48:32 AM
Quote from: Burdar on July 10, 2020, 06:27:45 AM

:iagree:
Running  TTI Shorty headers on 340 4 speed. No down sides at all, great clearance for everything.

$725 for ceramic coated shorties. TTI website also says you need to run a mini starter-possibly another cost as well. You're also buying their head pipes to fit as well. They also say use "up to 450 horsepower". GOOD exhaust is expensive any way you slice it..
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

jimynick

The general figure that I've heard over the years is a 30-60hp difference depending on the size, style and make and engine configuration. The TTI's are the Cadillac, but I wouldn't bet they produce 5hp more than a cheaper set. The standard size is usually 1 5/8ths and bigger sizes cost more money, but deliver more flow. AND, you WILL feel the difference that 30-60hp makes in the seat of your pants. Decisions, decisions, eh? Good luck  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Katfish

Depends on what your plans are for the car.
I've never had (or seen) headers on a driver that weren't dinged, peeling, rusted or discolored.
I took headers off my car and went with the factory exhaust manifolds, TTI the rest of the way back.
If you're looking for the extra 20HP, or just want to drive to the local show and pop the hood every 3 months, go with headers.
If you drive it more than that, headers will always look worse IMO.

7212Mopar

I have the TTI long tubes ceramic coated outside and polished, inside thermal coated. There is some discoloration after I think 2000 miles. Otherwise still shiny. If you get them and buying their exhaust system, be sure to ask for the 7 degrees adjusted connectors to the header or it will be hanging too low. There is a thread on this and TTI would know what you are talking about. I think enough of us had asked for that modification.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

HP2

With over 400 cubic inches on tap, I'd be going the header route. The key to making those inches work is allowing them to breath. Hood heads and good exhaust are must haves.

worthywads

TTIs on my 360 are in great shape after 10 years of service.  Only issue replaced one gasket a few years back, likely from header bolts loosening a little and not tending to them in time.  2.5 inch exhaust with dynomax mufflers and it really is just enough loud with no drone while cruising down the highway, but a nice roar when I get on it.

Smallblock340

How about Hi-Flow Tri-Y Small Block Headers? Does any of you have experience with this type of headers?

https://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/SB_Headers.html#head5
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

Burdar

QuoteHow about Hi-Flow Tri-Y Small Block Headers? Does any of you have experience with this type of headers?

Lots of posts lately about people not being able to get ahold of them.  It looks like they are no longer in business.  Not sure if those headers will be available again from someone else in the future or if the entire product line is dead.

HP2

Quote from: Smallblock340 on July 11, 2020, 01:30:16 AM
How about Hi-Flow Tri-Y Small Block Headers? Does any of you have experience with this type of headers?

https://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/SB_Headers.html#head5

Those are pretty decent headers and they fit great, but like Burdar said, you may not be able to easily find them.

Interesting back story on these is that they were first jigged up and built by a company called Chrysler Power back in the 1990s. They even produced a magazine for a while as well. They were one of the first publishing casualities of the computer world and the headers disappeared for a while and then got picked up by Schumacher after the turn of the century. As a small family company, I hope they are surviving these days, but I think they may be struggling.

tparker

Lots of good thoughts. I think I'm going with the headers. I am trying to save money where I can, but I can spend where I need to. Cost wise, manifolds are as much as the headers. My current thought for the cheapest setup would be the Doug's Headers and TTI exhaust. The TTI are an extra $100+. Not much.

I'm somewhat worried about headers being a pain, but the engine is out and I can tear things apart to put it in, instead of fighting it with an engine already in place. I kinda trust TTI more so than other headers simply cause they put out information about the install where others just list the product. Not to mention a lot of people use them. I don't want to buy a new starter, and I believe those tiny buggers are expensive. The next question is shorties versus the full headers. If I go Shorties, then TTI will be the choice since I didn't see Doug's option.

As for pain in the ass, is this just because they are a pain to put in, meaning there isn't a lot room? Or does this mean fabrication? I don't want to reweld the exhaust or reroute pipes. As I said, I have the motor out so I can shift it around just fine to work with minimal space. I don't have any tranny lines, so I can reroute as necessary.

And for those that asked, I'm not building a race car. I figure I'll be in around the 400HP range, maybe 450. I want a good solid street car that can hold it's own with the newer challengers. So I don't have to squeeze every ounce of power out of it.