Main Menu

AAR Cuda Exhaust Bracket Hardware and Finish

Started by Gary AAR, November 13, 2021, 07:42:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Need help with a couple questions about my 70 AAR Cuda exhaust bracket finish and hardware. 
1.  What is the correct finish of the exhaust bracket shown in the picture below IMG 1804.  Bare steel, flat black paint, phosphate, other ?????
2.  What is the correct bolt that attaches the two brackets together that are used on the drivers side (IMG 1803)?  It is a 5/16-18 bolt with captive washer that screws into the tinnerman nut, but what is the bolt length, finish, and diameter of the captive washer?  Head stamping on the bolt would be great to know also.
3.  Similar to question 2, what is the correct bolt/nut used on the passenger side?  Need to know bolt size, bolt head stamping, bolt length, if it has captive washer, captive washer diameter, does the nut have captive washer?
4.  What is the correct nut used on the bracket with the four studs that attaches to the body on the drivers side (finish, captive washer size, regular nut or locking nut)?

Could not find answers to the above questions in the Dave Wise E-Body Hardware book.  Hoping someone here with an original AAR could take a look and provide answers. 
Thanks for the help.

Floyd

My Opinion:
Question #1 - Bare steel
Question #2/3 -  No bolts,  there is a unique set of hardware used for AAR/TAs. I'll grab a pic in a bit. You can get them from Frank Badalson:

Part "TAE" - Correct mounting hardware for AAR/TA muffler hangers to floorboard; Kit consists of 2 correct studs, 2 correct U-nuts and 2 correct nuts w/ spin washer;
Yes the AAR/TA cars have a unique hanger mounting setup............$ 15.00/kit

Question #4 - Coni keps nuts (non-locking with captive spin washer.  AMK part number B-11481/3

JH27N0B

I was just looking at my T/A and was reminded that during my research I found a picture somewhere that showed the drivers side exhaust tip bracket has orange paint in it, probably so that the workers on the line could differentiate drivers side and passenger side brackets.

Floyd

Agree on the orange daubs.  Pics from Troy's T/A

Floyd

And a couple others harvested from the web.

Gary AAR

Gary AAR

@Floyd, I ordered and received the suggested hardware kit.  I have the mounting hardware installed on the drivers side, but I'm struggling to figure out how the hardware (tinnerman nut, stud, and flanged nut) works on the passenger side.  I must be missing something simple.  I saw you had the hardware mounted on the passenger side in the 3rd photo of your previous response.  The passenger side bracket that is spotwelded to the frame on my car has only one rectangular shaped hole (see picture below).  How do you make the tinnerman nut work with only the one rectangular hole?
Thanks for the help.

anlauto

NO...your bracket is missing a hole...there should be a round hole beneath the rectangle hole just like on the driver's side...looks like someone forgot to drill it.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Gary AAR

Was the missing hole drilled at the factory, or was it supposed to be drilled when the side exhaust installed at the Dealership?  Anybody have a measurement of the size of the hole and position of the hole relative to the rectangular hole?

anlauto

Someone likely repaired that area of the bracket and did not drill the hole.. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Quote from: Gary AAR on December 08, 2021, 09:31:35 AM
Was the missing hole drilled at the factory, or was it supposed to be drilled when the side exhaust installed at the Dealership?  Anybody have a measurement of the size of the hole and position of the hole relative to the rectangular hole?
The location and size will be the same as the driver's side :alan2cents: