Main Menu

Challenger rear sway bar routing near resonator hangers

Started by Dakota, April 17, 2021, 06:49:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

When I bought my Challenger, it only had resonators, no mufflers.   While the deep rumble in the exhaust note was kind of cool initially, it started getting annoying after driving for a while.   I bought a set of mufflers and tailpipes from Accurate Exhaust, along with hangers to make sure the resonators are in the right position.   The thing that has me scratching my head is the routing for the rear sway bar.   While not original to a 70 (at least this version of it), it is an OE Challenger sway bar from a later model year.   The sway bar currently runs right through the "loop" in the resonator hanger.   It appears to limit the position of the hanger, so I wanted to make sure this correct before I go any further.

I've attached a picture of the passenger side resonator hanger without a sway bar that I found elsewhere in the forum (sorry - don't remember who posted it), and a picture of what I'm dealing with on my car on the same side with the sway bar.  My apologies about the lack of light in my picture.

I have a note out to Tom from Accurate already but I'm also trying for a quick reply here as I can't really do anything else on the car until I get this verified or corrected.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

anlauto

Is the sway bar mounted to the frame in the correct location ? It shouldn't be anywhere near the exhaust hangers  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dakota

Thanks for the quick reply Alan.   I heard the same message back from Tom @ Accurate Exhaust regarding the sway bar position being too low.

Do you happen to know the distance between the top of the rear sway bracket and the axle bumper (following the curve of the frame rail or straight - as long as I know which method), or some other way to figure out the correct placement?  I remember looking for the factory dimples on the frame rail but couldn't find them.   There is some undercoating in the area so maybe they are covered up

Also... for the tail pipes running between the resonators and mufflers, are these mostly vertical or are they tipped inward a bit?   I'm still playing with pipe positions and can't really tell what's right when I'm laying on my back under the car.

Thanks.