Main Menu

eliminating heat riser butterfly in exhaust manifold

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 12, 2022, 05:31:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I want to eliminate the heat riser butterfly in the exhaust manifold.  I read in a previous post that someone suggested cutting out the butterfly shaft then tapping and plugging the holes on that the shaft went thru.  Has anyone done this?  Any guidance would be appreciated. 
Also, I know that these are B body manifolds, but I also understand that they will work unless I want to use a purchased E body exhaust pipe set.
Thanks.

Dakota

Mine had a leak along one of the shafts.   The shop that was chasing the leak welded the shafts with the butterfly in the open position. 

Chryco Psycho

I have done this a few ways , remove the shaft thread the holes & insert plugs .
You can also cut off the plate , tack the shaft so it cannot slide out & leave the shaft in place so it looks stock .
You can restrict the plate intact on the shaft & restrict the movement so it has to stay open .

Claudia

I removed the shaft, threaded the holes and inserted plugs in mine.

GoMangoBoys

@Chryco Psycho  and @Claudia   Did you tap a pipe thread, or a standard bolt and use a set screw?
Thanks

Jocigar

:popcorn:   

I have intentions of doing this work as well, wanted to leave the counter weight (stock look) and just remove or cut the butterfly plate back to shaft.      Without sounding like a butcher, could I use a 2" cut-off wheel to remove plate by cut flush to shaft on each side?

Claudia

I haven't personally done it that way but I believe that you could just cut the plate off but if I recall correctly, you would then need to prevent the shaft from sliding out as mentioned above.

GoMangoBoys

I used a dremel tool with a 1 1/4" cut off wheel to cut the shaft on the inside in 2 places.  Everything then just fell out.

headejm

Quote from: Jocigar on March 18, 2022, 07:15:53 AM
:popcorn:   

I have intentions of doing this work as well, wanted to leave the counter weight (stock look) and just remove or cut the butterfly plate back to shaft.      Without sounding like a butcher, could I use a 2" cut-off wheel to remove plate by cut flush to shaft on each side?

Yes, that's what I did. I too wanted the stock look on the outside.

Don't forget to block the heat cross-over in the intake manifold if you're  running a stock manifold.

Chryco Psycho

Pipe thread also .
the plate is just spot welded to the shaft so i just ground the spot welds , once that is done you can put a spot weld on the shaft near the pivot  to prevent the shaft sliding out while looking stock .