Main Menu

Exhaust Install Problems - updated - with Video!

Started by Cudajason, April 14, 2018, 09:01:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

:wave: :wave: :wave:

OK...Something is not right here...and I think its user error and could use some help.

As you can see...sort of... the resonators are in different positions.

The drivers side is to far back and does not want to slide any further onto the pipe. As a result the I can not get the over the axle pipe and muffler on.

On the passenger side. I am closer...but I still think it need to go up a lot further.

So some questions:

I assume that the bends in the head pipes should be somewhat symmetrical.

Haw far should the pipes go into the resonators and mufflers (they are in a bout two inches now)

Should the resonator hanger be on the outlet of and act as the clamp or on the over the axle pipe.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

Probably have to shorten your head pipes :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on April 14, 2018, 09:48:55 AM

:iagree: And a little tip, put bits of masking tape on the pipes to give you a reference on how far the pipe is in the muffler.... If it's to deep it will restrict exhaust flow & if it's not deep enough it may leak... Or fall apart... Little bit of tape gives you a reference & can be removed without a trace...

anlauto

Tip #2 when fitting the exhaust...a little bit of grease on the pipe helps lessen aggravation  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cudajason

Yeah that's what I am thinking.

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 14, 2018, 12:42:15 PM

:iagree: And a little tip, put bits of masking tape on the pipes to give you a reference on how far the pipe is in the muffler.... If it's to deep it will restrict exhaust flow & if it's not deep enough it may leak... Or fall apart... Little bit of tape gives you a reference & can be removed without a trace...

good tip....I have been using a sharpie for that purpose.

Quote from: anlauto on April 14, 2018, 06:08:42 PM
Tip #2 when fitting the exhaust...a little bit of grease on the pipe helps lessen aggravation  :alan2cents:

You serious about that Clark [in my best cousin Eddie voice]
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

I use a little bit of grease all the time, or even WD40 :dunno:

6bblgt

is it possible you have Challenger headpipes in a 'cuda?  :dunno: they're 2" longer

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 16, 2018, 11:38:25 AM
is it possible you have Challenger headpipes in a 'cuda?  :dunno: they're 2" longer

That's what I was thinking....I've ran into that issue before....

Burdar

Start at the back and work your way forward.  :alan2cents:

Cudajason

Quote from: anlauto on April 16, 2018, 11:48:18 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on April 16, 2018, 11:38:25 AM

That's what I was thinking....I've ran into that issue before....

I thought that too! Manufacturer says no. I specified for a cuda, called talked to them, and they said the numbers and measurements were correct.

I think I will start buy cutting 2 inches off the head pipes (after I measure it all again).

Jason

Cudajason

Quote from: Burdar on April 16, 2018, 02:09:16 PM
Start at the back and work your way forward.  :alan2cents:

I think I will try that too before cutting.  At leas I can verify the mufflers and over the axel pipes will fit.

On the passenger, with the two piece head pipe there is lots of room for play.  On the drivers side, not so much, but enough.

Now I just need to find some time to actually work on it...crazy busy at work and currently out of town until Saturday morning.

Jason

Adams1stCuda

Sorry, no knowledge to impart, but what exhauset set did you get?  Assuming factory to factory manifolds?

Cudajason

Quote from: Adam213 on April 19, 2018, 12:16:48 PM
Sorry, no knowledge to impart, but what exhauset set did you get?  Assuming factory to factory manifolds?

I would rather not say at this point...yes factory manifolds with factory pipes (72-74 two piece head pipes).

Jason

jimynick

Jason, although based on the photos it looks like the pipe was going in deep enough, if it'd help, we have a pipe expander and an electric impact you could borrow if they'd help. I'd also only cut one inch off that pipe and if it needs it, then cut the other off. Easy to cut, not so easy to stretch, eh?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudajason

Quote from: jimynick on April 19, 2018, 09:04:16 PM
Jason, although based on the photos it looks like the pipe was going in deep enough, if it'd help, we have a pipe expander and an electric impact you could borrow if they'd help. I'd also only cut one inch off that pipe and if it needs it, then cut the other off. Easy to cut, not so easy to stretch, eh?  :cheers:

Thanks Ian.  I have a pipe expander and impact...tried that, it helped a bit.

Right now I am trying to get one of the one of the resonators off, its on there good.

In think i need more heat.

Jason