Main Menu

Exhaust Issues

Started by Cudajason, December 22, 2020, 05:00:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Hey guys!

My main project this winter is fixing my exhaust issues.

First adding turndowns to my mufflers (now that I have a welder should be pretty easy.

The other part is shortening my head pipe.

If you recall when I installed the exhaust, I had issues with the driver side head pipe. This is the later 2 piece driver side head pipe and I found that it was too long and pushing the resonator too far back at the mount. I made it all work, but now I want to fix it.

I was thinking of just chopping the pipes at the joint or shortly after it and then cutting the longer pipe to the proper length. Then welding it all back together.

Any other suggestions? Or suggestions on getting the two pipes apart?

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Chryco Psycho

I would use a rubber hammer or a block of wood to drive them apart , if they will not come apart grind a slot or 2  in the outer pipe & rock the inner pipe to loosen it & slide it out then you can shorten the inner pip slide it back together & clamp or weld it .

Cudajason

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 22, 2020, 05:08:58 PM
I would use a rubber hammer or a block of wood to drive them apart , if they will not come apart grind a slot or 2  in the outer pipe & rock the inner pipe to loosen it & slide it out then you can shorten the inner pip slide it back together & clamp or weld it .

I honestly never thought of hammering it apart.  I did think of the slicing the sides.

I will try the hammer first!

I am also going to put in a bung for the O2 sensor while I am at it.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

jimynick

If all that fails Jason, bring them over to the house and use my oxy/acet rosebud to heat the outer pipe and it'll come apart. Easy job and why hack them up if not req'd? It'll be my Christmas present.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudajason

Quote from: jimynick on December 22, 2020, 07:13:39 PM
If all that fails Jason, bring them over to the house and use my oxy/acet rosebud to heat the outer pipe and it'll come apart. Easy job and why hack them up if not req'd? It'll be my Christmas present.  :cheers:

Thanks Ian  @jimynick  I always appreciate the offer. I will let you know if I can not get it apart!

Jason

Burdar

I used to work at an exhaust shop.  Usually it takes getting the outer pipe red hot and tapping it with a hammer around the outside.  That smooths out the indentations caused by the clamps.  Make sure to spray the joint with penetrating oil and let it work into the pipe.  You'll need to twist the inner pipe from side to side and you pull it out.

The easiest way to shorten it would be to cut some length off of the inner pipe.  That way you leave the expanded outer pipe intact.  If the outer pipe needs to be cut shorter, you'll have to take it to a muffler shop and have them expand the pipe so the inner one will fit again.

Cudajason

Quote from: Burdar on December 23, 2020, 11:59:03 AM
I used to work at an exhaust shop.  Usually it takes getting the outer pipe red hot and tapping it with a hammer around the outside.  That smooths out the indentations caused by the clamps.  Make sure to spray the joint with penetrating oil and let it work into the pipe.  You'll need to twist the inner pipe from side to side and you pull it out.

The easiest way to shorten it would be to cut some length off of the inner pipe.  That way you leave the expanded outer pipe intact.  If the outer pipe needs to be cut shorter, you'll have to take it to a muffler shop and have them expand the pipe so the inner one will fit again.

Thanks @Burdar ,  I appreciate the input.

I will get it apart and see whats next!

Cudajason

well I got the two pipes apart. Took a few taps but it came apart.

I chopped quite a bit of the inside pipe and now the mid pipe should slide up enough so everything lines up!

Next up is the O2 Sensor. 

Jason

Chryco Psycho

Great , I am glad it came aprt OK :bigthumb: