Main Menu

Headers for '70 w/ 383

Started by bross1004, January 21, 2020, 12:35:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

bross1004

Interested on opinions on Doug's headers (specifically D451-B). My '70 challenger has a 383 with aftermarket cam.  Not sure what cam yet, haven't had time to pull it and look at it. Was installed by previous owner that passed away and guy I bought it from couldn't remember. I've heard TTI is good too. I have straight plug heads if that helps. It currently has Hedman headers on it but apparently they dont make headers for the 383 anymore. Again,  thanks in advance for any and all input.

Wayne

No experience with Doug's.  Heard good things about them though.  I have a low deck as well.  Although I have aftermarket angle plug heads.  I went with TTI as I wanted there full exhaust.  The headers fit and went in good just followed the instructions.  I have good spark plug access with wires that have 45 degree boots.  Not sure if that helps at all
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

shawge

I've got the ceramic coated version of those (D451) on my 451, and have them tied into a 3" TTI exhaust.  No issues changing plugs on 440Source Stealth heads  Does need a mini starter. 
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

GrandpaKevin

If your looking at D51 B  Doug's I assume your looking for headers with 1 3/4" primary tubes.
A 383 engine will give you more room and header clearance than a 440 engine, especially with power steering.

If you're on a budget Summit sells cheap 1 3/4" headers which look identical to Headman's.
https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/sum-g9041/overview/

If you're looking to spend more $$ on better fitting/flowing headers TTI and Doug's are similar in quality and fit and either one is a great choice.

The bigger 1 7/8" primary tube headers are also an option but might be overkill for a stockish 383 engine unless you plan to do performance modifications.

Cratos

On a 1970 challenger with 383 auto .PS ac who has the best fit? looking at headman elite

Chryco Psycho

I believe Only TTI makes a different header for the B & RB engines to keep them as tight to the floor as possible , it is only 3/4" but attn to detail counts

Cratos

I just did the Hedman on mine if yo call the and talk to Dave C ( he is there mopar guy) there is a drivers side 78538 that gives you more clearance from the steering box. before and after.