Main Menu

Stock hangers

Started by A.Gramz, January 14, 2017, 12:08:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

A.Gramz

My car doesn't have any stock hangers.  At some point it got the sheet metal screws through the floor treatment.  Also it looked like it had side pipes during its life too with aftermarket hangers.  Anyways to the question do the exhaust systems offered for these car utilize the factory hangers.  Ie should I get a set and weld them in.  :notsure: or do I need to decide on what exhaust I want and custom hangers.

Thx.

Cuda Cody

Just get a set of stock ones and bolt them in.  Dual exhaust is pretty easy to install on stock hangers.   Are you planning to go with rear dual exhaust?

A.Gramz

Yes duel exhaust.   I just took a quick look through my goodmark and dynacorn books.  Looks like they don't have it. Guess I'll have to do some searching online.   Thx

Cuda Cody

Check with Tom at Accurate Exhaust.  He should have them and if you tell him you're an E-Bodies.org member you get 10% off.  Good luck!

anlauto

Yea the easiest set-up would be the 1970-71 set up up. They had the passenger side bracket welded to the floor and then the driver's side bolted to the floor, both are available in reproduction. If Accurate doesn't have the weld on bracket, try David at Roseville.
Because you're in Canada you could also try Nigel at National Moparts...tell him Alan Gallant sent you. :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

A.Gramz

:thankyou:  guys I'll check around. 

Cuda Cody

Also check our Facebook page, John Griffith posted some photos of his original hangers for you.  They were bolted on.

A.Gramz

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 14, 2017, 05:50:23 PM
Also check our Facebook page, John Griffith posted some photos of his original hangers for you.  They were bolted on.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll check it out

moparmadman69

What year is the car? From the pics it looks like the indentations are there to drill out the left side hanger. If it's a late production 71 or later it wont have a floor pan bracket on the right hand side but a hanger that bolts to the top of the cross member right above the axle.

Thanks,

Colby

anlauto

Quote from: moparmadman69 on January 16, 2017, 01:43:51 PM
What year is the car? From the pics it looks like the indentations are there to drill out the left side hanger. If it's a late production 71 or later it wont have a floor pan bracket on the right hand side but a hanger that bolts to the top of the cross member right above the axle.

Thanks,

Colby

Have you a date on this switch ? I've never come across a 71 with that style hanger :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

moparmadman69

Quote from: anlauto on January 16, 2017, 02:23:21 PM
Quote from: moparmadman69 on January 16, 2017, 01:43:51 PM

Thanks,

Colby

Have you a date on this switch ? I've never come across a 71 with that style hanger :dunno:

Have sold hundreds of 71 systems that have that right hand upper hanger. In fact one last week and another going to the Netherlands this week for a 71 Challenger Conv.

I'm not sure the exact date or if it's a production plant change that didn't effect all cars. I always have the customers look at the underside and see if the FPB is welded to the body on the right side and if the cross member has the holes in it for the upper hanger.

Never been able to pin down an exact date on when the change occurred. Definitely would make it easier when people order their systems if I knew a date. 

anlauto

Well I find that kind of funny and mean no disrespect....
However this was brought to my attention back in 2015 at the MCACN show in Chicago. My customer had one of his cars in the show that he had a shop restore for him, and the shop owner welcomed my inspection as well.

One of the things I pointed out as being wrong was the fact they had used the double loop hanger on the passenger side. I told him it was wrong and he said quote "That's what Accurate LTD sent me" ....which my response was....That doesn't make it right. :alan2cents:

The reason at that time that I was so sure of myself was the fact that his factory floor pan DID still have the hanger bracket welded to the floor not being used and he admitted that he had to drill holes to use the hanger supplied...

Our conversation then changed to reproduction parts and how some are just not accurate at all :pullinghair:

In my 32+ years of restoring E Bodies, and especially since that time at MCACN I have not come across a 1971 E Body that uses that hanger.

But I'm not new to this hobby, I understand there were always productions changes through-out the production year....I think even the service manual shows the double loop style hanger, so I'll always say "never say never"

Hopefully one day we can nail down proof with a production date for this change. :toast:

A.Gramz

Would this be the bracket everybody is talking about for 72-74?

It's on the pass side of the shock cross member. 
Mines a 73  should of included that in the first post.   

anlauto

Cuda Cody

Any photos from a little further back?  I can say I can remember ever seeing that bracket?   :notsure: