Main Menu

Stock Manifolds or go with headers?

Started by noreastfish, December 22, 2018, 11:01:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

noreastfish

I'm looking for some advice as to weather to stick with a stock exhaust system or go with headers. I need to replace the exhaust system on my numbers matching car. It's a 70 Challenger with a 383. I am in the process of installing a Fi Tech fuel injection. So I don't know if I should stay stock or go the headers route. Not sure if I would pick up a noticeable amount of HP with the headers.  I have been looking at the stock Accurate exhaust systems with the performance mufflers. Any advice would be appreciated.   

Cuda Cody

I like stock best, but I would think you would pick up a little HP with headers.

Cudajason

I think it depends on what you want to do eith the car.

For me, I want more of a cruiser, so optimizing the horsepower was not my priority.

I switched to manifolds last winter. Car will spin the tires just fine. I noticed no real downside with the manifolds.

On the upside, no interfeace issues as are common with headers and I noticed less heat in the cabin with the manifolds.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

kawahonda

Hard to say. If you're going accurate exhaust, then you're already leaving some performance on the table restricting your pipe size to 2 1/4".

I'd go manifolds, unless you decided to go with a 2.5" TTI system...

I have the TTI system and I love it aside from the ugly hangers (which you can use stock hangers anyway or paint them so they're less visible). You may need to reverse a shift linkage, but other than that it's a direct fit. I've been happy with the included Dynomax mufflers. Car only sounds mildly louder than stock. I can actually hear my car now just enough from the inside, which was a problem before with the stock exhaust. I don't like not being able to hear if my car is running or not...especially a challenger which is an iconic muscle car. It's far from being "loud" either. My conservative father's response to the car when we picked it up from the exhaust shop was "its still pretty quiet, I'd want it to be louder myself".

For me, it's a perfect blend of having something that is quiet but noticeably mild and still keeping the door open for headers if you'd like down the road.

Headers do not grant you anything on the low end. If you're just cruising around stop light to stop light, you probably won't notice the increase in exhaust flow. It's more of a higher RPM thing--which is highly necessary if you are racing. I'm in no rush to replace my manifolds either, but at least the option is open with the TTI system.

Ditto on manifolds putting out less heat. But, I'd imagine with ceramic headers the difference would be pretty minimal. I may be wrong here....would love some real world opinions.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

70 Challenger Lover

I can't stand headers anymore. They add heat to the engine compartment and the cabin. They are loud. And even the best ones hang down a bit. Oh and it's harder to work on the car with them in there. You can grab a couple high end HP if that's really important.

Cudakiller70

If your racing once an while sure get headers. Cruising with an occasional romp, go stock manifolds.
I've gone from long tube headers to shortys for ground clearance due to lowering. Next move would be stock.

DodgeGuy

It's on the low-end of priorities on my '74 Challenger, but eventually I'm going to replace the headers with stock manifolds.  As has been stated, it's really about what you want out of the car.  My racing days are long over, and I'm just interested in cruising, which is why stock manifolds will work fine. 

It's also why I'm considering going from 3.91 gears to 3.23, if I don't upgrade my 4-speed manual to an overdrive gear.
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

Rich G.

I'm a manifold guy. Headers almost always seem to be a pain when trying to do anything envolved around them. And if they're not open do they really add that much more power on the street anyway?

nsmall

Do you have access to some hi performance stock manifolds?

My 1973 340 manifolds were holding my 340 back.  I have TTI's and 2.5 all the way back now and its a noticeable difference.   :alan2cents:

one bad fish

I believe for a stock 383, stick with manifolds. If hp is your main goal then sure headers are the way to go. Like many say here manifolds are trouble free and provide room for access.  :alan2cents:

Racer57

Headers are cool to see when hood open.
Manifolds are practical and easy to install.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Racer57 on December 23, 2018, 07:13:25 AM

:iagree:  And headers have some impact on performance but make it more difficult to working on your car.

Cudakiller70

Quote from: 303 Mopar on December 23, 2018, 08:08:29 AM
Quote from: Racer57 on December 23, 2018, 07:13:25 AM

:iagree:  And headers have some impact on performance but make it more difficult to working on your car.
I have TTI shorty's and access all around is really good. :alan2cents: Anymore it will be stock .

noreastfish

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. After reading them I'm sticking with the stock manifolds and going with a Accurate exhaust. Thanks again and Merry Christmas everyone.

70 Challenger Lover

You didn't say whether you were using the hp manifold or not. I assume you are. If not, it's worth finding a set as they flow much better than the non hp ones.