Main Menu

X vs H pipes

Started by tparker, March 22, 2021, 02:44:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

It's time to pick an exhaust. I'm looking for reasons to choose between H or X pipes. I've read a few posts but still really arn't clear why I would want one or the other. What are the benefits and drawbacks to either? One post said it could effect tranny work. What would be the issues and with which one?

For what it is worth I am building for a stroked 340 (416)

Thanks

drew43a

I had my system put on by a muffler shop that has been around for many many years and was started by the guy that drove the Budwieser speed boat. They recommended a H pipe because he said it may have crackel sound if they didnt. hope that helps

davy442

Poolshark314

I have heard that X is better for performance but I have H and I love the sound  :alan2cents:
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

70/6chall

Ok guys for what it's worth. Mine has an "H" pipe, now remember I'm the guy with the Slant6 Challenger. When I had the Hooker headers added to my six the rest of the exhaust system was all completely rebuilt, from the collectors on back. The muffler shop is one of the oldest here in Riverside Ca. Jerl's mufflers and brakes. They did all the hot rods here in town from the 50's up to now. I just gave them the go ahead and do it right to last a lifetime. They chose aluminized 2.25" with "H" pipe back to a pair of Walker glasspacks from there each pipe runs on either side of gas tank to exit under the rear valance. They used some real nice Cuda style 15" chrome tips. This is a six with duals and an "H" pipe, I like the way it sounds at idle no harsh or raspy sound. But there is a draw back pulling away from a stop you hear a six. Well I like it. Thanks,   Al

blown motor

Quote from: Poolshark314 on March 22, 2021, 04:37:11 PM
I have heard that X is better for performance but I have H and I love the sound  :alan2cents:

I have X on my 340 and I love the sound. That didn't help much did it?  :))
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

dodj

'X' pipe  on my 440
Picked purely for sound purposes. Performance differences between the two really don't matter for a street car.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

tparker

hmmmm..... People love the sound with H pipes. People love the sound of X pipes. LOL.

I've several people have said there isn't much difference in performance for street engines. So, I'll be flipping the coin a little later.

gzig5

I like the H pipe at lower revs and the X up in the rpm range.  My car will be more curvy road oriented than drag, so I'm leaning towards doing an X pipe with electric dumps out to side for those special occasions.

Shane Kelley

I will throw this out there as food for thought. Have the X on my Cuda with a 340 along with Flowmaster series 40's.  Sounds great to me and most people agree. But I went with the H on my Road Runner everything else is the same. Sounds great as well but does sound a little different. I went with H pipe for access reasons. You can un clamp the H and separate the pipes. Makes removing the transmission a whole lot easier compared to the X pipe. I had some clutch issues on the Cuda and that X pipe caused all kinds of headaches getting the transmission out.

tparker

Hi @Shane Kelley
Thanks. This is very good information to know. This would be a good reason to lean towards the H. I'm not looking for extreme performance and both should be fine in that regard for me. It seems like both have good, but different, sounds so that doesn't really sway me. But access is probably a good thing.
Thanks

TGGodfrey

X is going to be a better flowing design.  You can look at it and see why.  What I do with any systems I design and build, I place the X just after the tailshaft.  You could leave it in place to remove the trans if you wanted.  If you want to make it easy to work with in the removal dept, weld in V-Band clamps rather than bolt up flanges.  Adds a little bit more time to welding but not much and I TIG all mine. 

Have fun with whatever you decide.

Terry

GoodysGotaCuda

I went for H to get a more traditional muscle sound.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dodj

Depending on how important trans access is to you, you can forget both the X and the H and just use a traditional layout. That works too.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

HP2

Trans access can be built in to a system if you wish, regardless of x or h. Sure, its is an additional step necessary if you need access, but how often are you pulling a trans?

I've read where x does flow better at higher rpm and may produce a slightly higher pitch to the sound at those rpms. Both will equalize the flow which help balance the noise out of the exhaust.

Your compression ratio will determine the amount of pop in the exhaust. Pipes and mufflers will only determine the tone and drone it produces.