Main Menu

Should we have a lost and found?

Started by RUNCHARGER, January 13, 2018, 10:25:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

What does everyone think about an E-body only Lost and Found category? A few other sites have them and it seems like it could be a great asset to the forum. I know I always beat the bushes looking for the engine for my U-code and a sheet for it and the A-66 as well when I owned them.
Sheldon

JS29

Cuda Cody

It's a great idea.  The big question is how to set it up.  A couple questions we need to answer before we do it.

• Is there 1 main person that adds and keeps track of the info? (like Hamtramck Historical)
  • Do we set it up so anyone can add info / details? (Like Wikipedia)
  • Is it just for this forum or should we let anyone add lost or found stuff (e.i, have to sign up to this site to post info)?
  • How much personal contact info will be shown?

If we start an E-Body Lost and Found it would not be much different then the other sites that already are doing it, right?  How do we make it better and easier for people?  If we are going to do it then lets do it right.  Step one is to identify the best possible Lost and Found possible.  Then we'll figure out how to build it.

Thoughts?

RUNCHARGER

I was thinking of just a thread such as Moparts has. Barry does a great job of what he does, I see no reason to duplicate his efforts. It would be nice for non-members to have access though. Perhaps include a note for non-members to simply email info they may have and a Mod could add the info on a post? I guess my thought is that it would be mostly a service to members to find their items. There is no need to service a non-member hunting for items just to add value to a car they are selling.
Just thinking out loud here.
Sheldon

anlauto

How ever it's done, I think it needs to remain strictly E Bodies which would be impossible with "found" engines & transmissions. :alan2cents: , but it would be nice.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

HR738

Great idea... I seem to be regularly using his site and hardly go to the others, would be nice to have that info on here.

I like how Barry's site is set up for searching. It's a pain to search back through all of the posts on a site like Moparts to try and find something.

It would be great (if possible) to have items separated; blocks ( big, small, etc), transmissions.
Maybe separate broadcast sheets by years?

Might make more sense to have one person handle it rather than open to everyone. That'll probably get messy.

js27

Cuda Cody

I like the idea of having a database instead of a thread.  It needs to be:

• easy to search
  • easy to access
  • easy for google to find
  • and easy for people add and update it

:thinking:

Katfish

I'd agree, would be some work,  but better if a mod posted only relevant info so it doesn't turn into a question and answer thread that gets derailed.

Just the facts broken down into sections.
That way, a google search would lead people here that may not be members.